OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tuning the Yelp

Started by mtns2hunt, July 03, 2017, 10:52:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtns2hunt

My question is that on a lot of sound files the yelp sounds squeaky with a pot. I think much of this is the caller, pot or striker. But in the wild or even on you tube you seldom hear this squeak. Its almost like chalk screeching down the board and does not sound right to me. I suppose it could also be how close the recorder is to the call as it is worked. I know a box call may sound squeaky or ring some up close but sound good a distance away. Is it the same with a pot? I think the yelp sounds good on the below sound file. Yet many of the custom calls do not sound as realistic. Opinions please.

http://youtu.be/I3BImyI4Efc
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Coop1082

Too much pressure, lack of conditioning (pot and striker), and surface in general give that squeak on a pot. What wood striker your using plays a roll as well. I couldn't make a slate, glass, or crystal squeak if I wanted to no matter the pressure (they suit my grip and style of calling) or material of striker, but give me a ceramic or slick aluminum and a hammering 3 year old 75 yards away with a purpleheart (or other striker that naturally gives higher pitch) and when my grip tightens under nerves, that chalk board sound comes out. Recently changed my grip and things are running a lot smoother and all but found a way to avoid that squeak altogether but to each his own. This is just my 2 cents!
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

Chris O

I think there are a lot of variables that effect a recorded sound.I also feel that a lot of the call makers mess with turkey calls all the time that they half heartedly play them sometimes and sometimes they aren't the best callers. I watched a YouTube of champion caller run a few different calls and I did not like the sound of his calling. The cadence seemed fast and squeaky to me. Everyone has different ideas of what they think the sound should be. The video you shared I thought sounded descent but it wasn't the one that I thought man I have to get that call.I think Steelerfan on here puts out some of the best sound files that I have heard he is definitely a good turkey caller but I think it's his cadence that I like .

Coop1082

^ steeler makes great ones. Pots and diaphragm. He has a very "deliberate" cadence. Drenalin is the same. Both of them have a very pronounced high/low no matter what they are running that stands out and sounds great.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

M,Yingling

The only good way to hear a call is to hold it and run it lol or have a buddy run  it while your 50 yard away ,, terrain outside  makes a different when doing sound files ,,, normally I don't like do them inside but some times have no choice wind rain ,,, but can still see easy run and playability  and yes when u up load videoes to face book or youtube it affects sound some what   

we are all different in what we like hear in a call  normally what u would want in a call and what some one else wants in a call is completely different and as far as sound goes being realistic and not knocking the sound or builder of the call  u posted below but to me that's not a good sounding turkey call and that's coming from a turkey hunter not because I build calls  that's just me  their again we are all different ,,, iam use to hearing raspy birds so that's what I like run hunting and work for my area  ( this year hunting certain spot I had one gobbling well from behind I heard that pop of some one running a wing bone I would have bet  it was another hunter coming in till this hen popped up lol  the rest of season when I would hunt that spot I could pick that certain hen out Ha   ,,,,so whats realistic to one maybe different to another     
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

mtns2hunt

Quote from: M,Yingling on July 04, 2017, 07:22:48 AM
The only good way to hear a call is to hold it and run it lol or have a buddy run  it while your 50 yard away ,, terrain outside  makes a different when doing sound files ,,, normally I don't like do them inside but some times have no choice wind rain ,,, but can still see easy run and playability  and yes when u up load videoes to face book or youtube it affects sound some what   

we are all different in what we like hear in a call  normally what u would want in a call and what some one else wants in a call is completely different and as far as sound goes being realistic and not knocking the sound or builder of the call  u posted below but to me that's not a good sounding turkey call and that's coming from a turkey hunter not because I build calls  that's just me  their again we are all different ,,, iam use to hearing raspy birds so that's what I like run hunting and work for my area  ( this year hunting certain spot I had one gobbling well from behind I heard that pop of some one running a wing bone I would have bet  it was another hunter coming in till this hen popped up lol  the rest of season when I would hunt that spot I could pick that certain hen out Ha   ,,,,so whats realistic to one maybe different to another   

I agree with what you say and everyone else too. Personally, I have no problems calling in a bird with a mouth call, box or pot. But during the off season I try to practice several times a month and strive to improve my calling. Listening to live birds in the field and on you tube has been beneficial.

I get confused about all the different strikers and types of calls. Some of the claims are fairly outrageous. I have about 10 pot calls some by well known makers and others not so well known. They all sound good to me but I do struggle to eliminate the chalky sound. However through trial and error I match up strikers with the right call and the sound is realistic. However, so many sound files on here do not sound good and are not in my opinion good learning tools. As stated in other posts it could be poor call or striker preparation. It may also be poor calling technique. Just trying to rationalize the hype.

The sound file I posted to this post is one of a guy posting to get opinions on his style I believe. I hi jacked it to demonstrate a chalk-less sound. Personally I think he is well on his way to mastering the pot. I really appreciate the feedback as it gives me a better understanding of some of the issues I am seeing.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.