OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Pot call makers quitting  (Read 2754 times)

Offline Lonehowl

• The Boss Gobbler
Pot call makers quitting
« on: July 03, 2017, 03:08:42 PM »
Is it my imagination, or are there a lot of guys giving up/discontinuing making pot calls? I know some guys are taking a break due to whatever circumstances,  but it seems like there some good makers quitting the game  up lately?
Mark

Offline doublespurs21

• Paintbrush Beard
Re: Pot call makers quitting
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 03:56:40 PM »
something called life, is getting in the way..

Offline Lonehowl

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 05:10:12 PM »

Agreed, been there myself.. I guess I was more wondering about the pot call business part of it...is it fading in some way? To many guys doing it or?
Just curious I guess.
Mark

Offline ol bob

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 07:00:07 PM »
It don't take most long to realize it a hard business to get into and harder to make any money at it if you make them right you will be working below min wage.

Offline SS Calls

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
  • Southwest Virginia
    • SS Custom Calls
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 07:22:13 PM »
It don't take most long to realize it a hard business to get into and harder to make any money at it if you make them right you will be working below min wage.

Spot on.  :icon_thumright:

Offline Footballer

• Longbeard
Pot call makers quitting
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 08:14:20 PM »
I've looked into making pots but everything I read claimed it was an expensive hobby. I can see why after looking into getting the equipment. The profit margin is pretty small it would seem compared to the time invested in each call.

I know there's a bunch of us that love custom calls but there's so many out there to choose from. To make any money you have to earn a solid reputation and that can take years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline idratherb

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 09:13:10 PM »
Well said ol bob

Offline mmclain

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 12:24:37 AM »
Most of the time if a person gets in to call making too fast and deep the fun is gone and burnout occurs. It takes a lot of mental and physical effort to keep building calls year after year.   Sometimes I just need some down time or take the time to build a call for myself..... something different and challenging done at my relaxed pace. Not with any intent on keeping it myself.     just my idea not someone else's.    I've got several wonderful ideas I'd like to complete.  I have already built them in my mind first.  Just need time. 

Offline mgm1955

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2017, 12:05:49 AM »
I'm sure you're right Bob.

Offline West Augusta

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • West By God Virginia
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2017, 09:58:09 AM »
If you get into making turkey calls its because you love making turkey calls not to make money.  Life does get in the way as does burn out.  Life got on the way big time for me.
I do miss it and hope to get back into making saw dust soon.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Offline pauld

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2017, 01:36:56 PM »
You gotta do it because you love it, not for money or fame.

Offline Happy hooker

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2017, 04:13:01 PM »
This is the same exact story with custom musky lures,,if you want to end up with a million dollars?? Start with two million.

Offline doublespurs21

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2017, 04:15:19 PM »
 something else that I noticed on here,, somebody says that they waited 2 years for a call,  than went it does show up, they turn around a flip it for double the cost of a new one from a callmaker,,,,,

Offline pauld

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2017, 01:20:32 PM »
something else that I noticed on here,, somebody says that they waited 2 years for a call,  than went it does show up, they turn around a flip it for double the cost of a new one from a callmaker,,,,,

So another thing is often purist, when they see art is turning to business, like this, will just hang it up. Then you loose them. :(  which stinks because artist have a true love and passion for what they do, not chasing a dollar. Then there's the "wal-mart effect." Where it's tough to sale a $60-100 call when culturally it's accepted to buy a $20 mass produced one, it all ties in. Then there is a huge factor, age and life catching up.