OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Pre-season Calling Prohibition  (Read 4407 times)

Offline Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
Re: Pre-season Calling Prohibition
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2017, 11:17:26 AM »
Oklahoma doesn't but I wish we did.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2017, 12:52:25 PM »
All i can say to this post, IF your a smart turkey hunter you want call to birds before your season opens... I wish Tennessee had it also..no calling before season... You need to scout, watch , listen and use good optics ..As a turkey hunter you need to use common sense sometimes or most of the time....

Offline kyturkeyhunter4

• Longbeard
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2017, 12:54:32 PM »
The law was past for hunters not to educate the turkeys. I'm glad that one was past especially on the hunters who have to hunt on public land.

Online Happy

• Limbhanger
Pre-season Calling Prohibition
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2017, 01:12:06 PM »
Never heard of a state having that law. It's not a bad idea but it would be pretty tough to enforce

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline vt35mag

• Longbeard
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2017, 01:23:40 PM »
Not a fan of more regulation, but I see the benefit to the law. I refuse to do any turkey hunting here in the Champlain Valley, because too many birds are already call smart on opening day. Lots of large fields and agriculture, which allows many birds to be seen from the road and called to. I can't tell you how many times I have seen people call to them from the side of the road, or talk about calling them to the truck before season. Then the same jack wagons calling them in before season, can't figure out why they cant call them in during the season.

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2017, 06:34:01 PM »
In my early years there were a few locals that did this for awhile but gave it up. I have messed with a couple birds after season closes before,but only a couple times in my life time. I never do it before season I just listen then.We don't have any laws for it and I don't think too many people do it here in Iowa.

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2017, 04:15:03 PM »
Some of the public land that I hunt has this prohibition.

Offline Dr Juice

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2017, 10:23:33 AM »
I wish that was the regulation in NY.

Offline Haymarket

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2017, 10:48:06 AM »
Never heard of a state having that law. It's not a bad idea but it would be pretty tough to enforce

Yeah, tough to enforce, but the main benefit would be to cut down on it by letting people know it is a bad thing to do...lot's of people don't realize the problem apparently, especially new hunters. If it is illegal, it would at least make people think that maybe they shouldn't be doing it.

Offline chcltlabz

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2017, 12:24:28 PM »
I've seen it in some places I've hunted, and seen it enforced also.  Places I've seen it enforced well had a prohibition of possessing turkey calls in the woods before turkey season.  Much easier to enforce that one.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of ‘up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

Offline jb1069

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2017, 02:04:20 PM »
I hope Ray Eye is reading this and can give his input! lol  I have to say I tend to agree with him. It isn't the calling, it is the people pressure.  If you are seriously dumb enough to call a bird all the way in until it see's you I can see the negative effect on preseason calling. But just random calling to locate a bird I don't agree messes up that bird for the rest of the season. I guess it is all in the approach.

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2017, 03:37:24 PM »
I have Ben Lee's instructional CD and he says more than once " Now what you need to do is go out there before season and call them up." 

Online Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2017, 04:54:58 PM »
I hope Ray Eye is reading this and can give his input! lol  I have to say I tend to agree with him. It isn't the calling, it is the people pressure.  If you are seriously dumb enough to call a bird all the way in until it see's you I can see the negative effect on preseason calling. But just random calling to locate a bird I don't agree messes up that bird for the rest of the season. I guess it is all in the approach.
I agree to an extent. However the odds go up of having birds see you and spook. Even birds you never knew you were there. Turkey vocalizations in and of themselves do not have a negative effect in my opinion. I try to stay completely out of my hunting areas at least a month before season. Not that it matters much as everyone and their brother is running crazy and I seldom hunt till the first week is almost over. People would be amazed at the amount of birds they bugger while walking around calling. Both in season and out.

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2017, 05:24:50 PM »
I agree to an extent. However the odds go up of having birds see you and spook. Even birds you never knew you were there. Turkey vocalizations in and of themselves do not have a negative effect in my opinion. I try to stay completely out of my hunting areas at least a month before season. Not that it matters much as everyone and their brother is running crazy and I seldom hunt till the first week is almost over. People would be amazed at the amount of birds they bugger while walking around calling. Both in season and out.

Stop making sense Happy, or you will have to change your handle to "Smart".  I will sneak in on my private spots, but I stay on the edges and well hidden and just listen.  I can hear the whole property on two of them from the edge, so it is just listening.  I will track in the afternoons on some public places too, but I am in major, quiet stealth mode.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Online Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2017, 08:34:08 PM »

Stop making sense Happy, or you will have to change your handle to "Smart".  I will sneak in on my private spots, but I stay on the edges and well hidden and just listen.  I can hear the whole property on two of them from the edge, so it is just listening.  I will track in the afternoons on some public places too, but I am in major, quiet stealth mode.
If anyone calls me smart then it proves they font know me very well. I just kinda learn from repeated hard knocks