turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mellow Sounding Slate

Started by davisd9, July 03, 2017, 01:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davisd9

A week or so ago I started a thread asking for suggestions about a mellow sounding slate.  Something with a more old school sound.  The slates over glass are great calls but they are higher pitched than I was looking for and looking for something to do feeding calls and tree talk with.  I am still planning on getting a couple of the slates suggested but I had this one come in the mail last week from NCbowjunkie, Daryal Gosey.  The call is a slate over bamboo soundboard, and I believe the pot is bamboo.  Along with the call came a two piece Ash striker with bocote top and a one piece bamboo with a piece of cocobolo at the top.  I gave the call the run through with various strikers and I am very happy with the results.  The call sounds great, conditions well without needing to be continually conditioned, is lightweight, and it has great pitch.

I really liked the ash striker, but when playing the bamboo I though it sounded horrible.  When I run a call I am outside in the woods with my phone recording about 20 yards away.  When I played the bamboo soundfile back I liked it much better and the more I listened to it the more I like it.  It has a nasally sound with some rasp, a different sound than the other strikers I normally use.  I tried the two strikers that came with the call and also a Fowler Mysterywood, Fowler Black Locust, Halloran Wenge, and Fowler Alaskan Yellow Cedar.  I am very happy with the call and wanted to share it with the board in case someone is looking for something similar.  Thanks!

Here is a playlist of the slate being used with various strikers:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLcYRqOuFdTHp-iI9kjiCS1QsIQhlyi9dN
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Tennessee Lead

Sounds really good to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCbowjunkie

Thanks Donald for posting the sound files , I have listened over and over, it's great to hear the pot being run with the setup you use, sounds much better than sitting in the shop or on the back porch, although the back porch sometimes gets me a gobble from the land across the road.

mgm1955