OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Resin Ivory, This stuff Stinks!!!!  (Read 2865 times)

Offline Austy

• The Boss Gobbler
Resin Ivory, This stuff Stinks!!!!
« on: June 29, 2017, 12:05:17 AM »
I was ask to make a couple of my Adjustable Yelpers from the Resin Ivory that is currently being offered by Guitarpartsandmore.com.  Here are 2 of the 3 that I made with the New Resin Ivory that they offer with the #1 Call made from this stuff staying with me.  The Call on the left is the Resin-Ivory +S ($34..95 for a 1.5" Round by 6" Long Piece for the bell section of the call) and the call on the right is the less expensive Resin-Ivory ($10.50 for a 1.34" Round by 6" Long Piece for the bell section of that call).  The Mid Section and Mouth Piece for both of these calls were both turned out of the less expensive Resin-Ivory which has in my opinion some really nice grain structure on one side and on the opposite side of both calls the grain structure is not at noticeable.  A call out of real Ivory is way out of my personal price range!!!  I've never made a complete call out of Real Ivory so I have really no idea what a true all Ivory's grain structure would look like but between these two different materials there is a definite difference in the finished look.  I must say that making the 3 calls that I did with this stuff was the messiest that my shop has ever been and this stuff smells terrible when your turning it.  For those call makers out there this stuff turns nice but I found that you have to turn at high speed and when you are making your cuts don't try to take to heavy of a cut and feed your tool at a very slow rate.  This stuff also drills out very nice and true for the sound chambers of the call.  In my experience with the 3 calls I made with this stuff I found that if you try to hog out the material quickly that it will tear out, even with sharp tools.  This stuff sands very nicely and finished very easily, these were all wet sanded and then finished with a Hut Plastic Polish after sanding thru my Micro Sanding Pads up to 15000 grit.  For those of you who know me you know I don't post many pictures of calls I make unless I think they are worthy or of some type of information value to other call makers.  Like I said to the new owner of these two calls I am going to have to wait until a day during the turkey season when its snowing like hell to hunt the call I made for myself so I am in full Camo, LOL.  These 2 were shipped out today to the new owner so we will have to wait and see if he is willing to comment on how these calls turned out for him and which of the 2 calls is actually the closest to a call that would have been made from Real Ivory and if they are even close to what a real Ivory Call would look like when it was done.   Thanks for the look:):)

Austy

Offline silverspur

• Longbeard
Re: Resin Ivory, This stuff Stinks!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 06:42:59 AM »
Austy they do look  real good but all of your yelper are top shelf :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
Longbeards / Sharp Spurs

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 07:23:53 AM »
Wow Austy, those are beautiful, but the perfection of your work doesn't surprise us that know you. Very well done brother!!!

Offline DocHolliday

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 11:27:26 AM »
Well done, Sir! Well done.

Offline Terry

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
Resin Ivory, This stuff Stinks!!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 02:13:50 PM »
Very nice Austy!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline Jacobson

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 05:13:25 PM »
Wow Austy nice work. I noticed the custom ferrules right off. Well done, A Gobbler head on each side. I would think that the calls would have a very crisp sound to them. Nice work :drool: :drool:

Offline merocustomcalls

• Longbeard
    • merocustomcalls.com
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 07:00:48 PM »
Very nice work!

Offline BluMtnGobbler

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 07:30:18 PM »
Austy, Those are awesome! you never cease to amaze me with your work!I'm sure the new owner is going to enjoy them!
BRIAN

Offline mgm1955

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 09:46:20 PM »
Those are fantastic Austy!!

Offline callmakerman

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2017, 08:23:36 AM »
Fine work as always Austy and I know it's loaded with turkey. Congrats to the new owner

Offline Crawdad

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2017, 04:45:48 PM »
First class & beautiful Austy.

Offline antnye

• AGE Turkey Trumpets
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2017, 06:41:12 PM »
Fine looking call Austy! Thanks for sharing. I was curious about that stuff.

Offline pappy

• In Memorial
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • 2014 Midwest Best of Class Air operated tube calls
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2017, 12:55:13 PM »
Austy, I have used this stuff many times, I used to get it from Arizona Silhouette, it does indeed have a distinctive smell....but so did the ivory I turned, smelled like burning hair...LOL... this stuff from Warthers out of Ohio I have not used, but I can imagine it is just a feathery as the other from Arizona Silhouette... it does produce some great results when it comes to drilling and creating the sound chamber for a trumpet. I would highly recommend a clear coat that is not harmful to plastic like Krylon 2444 'Fusion for Plastic' Clear Plastic Paint - 12 oz. Aerosol...to preserve the outer areas as I found them to skuff up easily without protection. Your turning is spot on too...I love the looks of your trumpets, the implemented stop on the midsection is sweet. I still have your cocobolo trumpet you sent me, I don't use it out side it is too nice, but it sounds great and is as easy to use as a pencil on paper...
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

Offline KPcalls

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2017, 02:49:26 PM »
 Nicely done Austy.  That stuff does stink. It reminds me of fiberglass resin. I bought and turned some when I found the supplier for it last year. It does look very close to ivory in color and grain. I'm glad to see David Warther found the source. I brought it to his attention when I found it.