OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Oklahoma Merriams  (Read 1645 times)

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
Oklahoma Merriams
« on: June 27, 2017, 10:19:31 PM »
A buddy and I are planning a OOS trip to Oklahoma because one of our old college friends lives in Stillwater and we are dying to chase some Rios (Starting to see Stillwater isn't close to any good public land unfortunately, alas). I wasn't aware that Oklahoma had Merriams until one of them mentioned it, but after a little research, I can't even find a single population number for Merriams in the State. A map I found showed that they existed in the northwest corner of the panhandle but I just can't believe there's hunt-able numbers of them. Anyone have any info on this? It'll be our first trip out of the Pennsylvania Alleghenies and we would love to hunt two of the other subspecies.

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
Oklahoma Merriams
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 02:14:43 AM »
If you hunted in the far NW. corner of the state you might shoot a Merriam. My advice....go enjoy your turkey hunt.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Oklahoma Merriams
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 02:41:56 AM »
If you hunted in the far NW. corner of the state you might shoot a Merriam. My advice....go enjoy your turkey hunt.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Great point. This hunt is probably a few years off anyway, as I will have to scrap together the money. I guess I just got out over my skis with excitement that this may happen someday. I appreciate the prespective and will keep it in mind. Thank you!

Offline Tomfoolery

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 10:30:40 PM »
I dont think youll get a true merriams in oklahoma but you should def have fun gettin your rio.

Offline Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 09:34:08 AM »
I've been chasing Oklahoma turkeys for 30 years.  My suggestion is forget you read anything about a Merriam in Oklahoma.  I only know of two people who has killed one.  Both from private property and both from near NM line.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Offline akp

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 09:09:25 PM »
Forget about Merriams here.  You'd have to be all the way out in the NW corner near Black Mesa to see any.  I saw a flock there back in 2001.  It's all private and an extremely long haul out that way.  More pronghorns than turkey out that far.  It's mesa country with few trees.