Main Menu

Awesome Sumtoy/Nitro pattern...WOW

Started by fountain, April 13, 2011, 09:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fountain

i decided to play a little today with my 835 and this years nitro 50103a 4x5x7s
first shot..690 jh..this years loads..204..last years
second shot..sumtoy .698..292

this got me to thinking..i wanna see of there is a differnece in this years and last years loads..so i run back home and get 2 more shells and 2 more pcs of cardboard

first shot..this years..224
second shot..last years..368!
last years loads

this years loads

now the crazy part..i got a 224 and a 292 with this years loads..kinda weird.

the pattern with the sumtoy choke and last years load is unbeleiveable..by far the highest i have ever shot.

fountain

that confirms that something is different..either last years loads were super HOT..or this years are off somewhere..the wads are the same.  the wad landed about 10 feet in front of the target and last years wad was found behind the target about 20 feet.

4 shots back to back..no cleaning or nothing..lasered 40 yards.

all will end up with a dead gobbler..but i feel better with the sumtoy choke..i also have 2 loads left from last year.  i got 302 at 40 last year with those load and a jh 690.

BOFF

TJ,

Your cracking me up. Your destroying the choke tube name. It's different each time you post.  :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

I gotta agree, it's gonna be a dead turkey regardless of which year shell.

God Bless,
David B.

goblr77

Looks like Hevi ain't the only ones that changed something up.

Gold Spur

Awesome patterns! Sumtoy is putting up some good numbers.... :icon_thumright:
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

longbeardlife.com

awesome patterns... are the shells the same 4x5x7's or could they be different.  just wondering if a opened shell of each year would answer the question.    great patterns anyway you look at it..

fountain

Quote from: BOFF on April 13, 2011, 10:01:10 PM
TJ,

Your cracking me up. Your destroying the choke tube name. It's different each time you post.  :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

I gotta agree, it's gonna be a dead turkey regardless of which year shell.

Guess I was still excited!   Fixed it  :toothy12:

God Bless,
David B.

fountain

Yep...4x5x7.. but have not cut one open.  Last years hulls are a purple color and these are bright red..that's the only difference I see so far.  I shot my last old 517 load at a gobbler opening day ..gonna go get the wad tomorrow and compare it with this years to be sure they are the same.

The biggest this is that the Sumtoy is a 698 vs a 690 jh..I figured the 698 would open the pattern up a bit.

SumToy

This good to know. I was thinking we did not have anything to work with the nitro.  I any of you shoot the old and the new pick up your wads going to try to figure out what is going on with this shell.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

fountain

Both wads the same with these two..clear soft wads.  Im going back to where I killed a bird opening day and run a wad down from last years 517 load.  They are the ones with the split in each petal. 
Something seems different,  but no proof..except the patterns I shot here.  Maybe inconsistent shot sizes from year yo year?

R AJ

The pattern with 55,55,56 and 58 is the most consistent pattern regardless of number of shot that I have seen ever. This is what I have been dreaming of and screaming for. My .02 is if the shells mfgrs would stay with same powder,shot , wad, primer ,etc, then these choke makers could make us all look good and keep the choke mfgrs, shell makers, and gun mfgrs happy.

The conspiracy theory is that these companies have found out that if they change up every year or so then everyone will buy all of a current years lot and then start comparing to other chokes, guns ,etc. and eventually shoot up more shells than normal  if the hunter is satisfied with what he has. If that doesn't work they change wads, powder or whatever to create controversy, make us bring out our guns and start showing all these patterns to each other ..............  and the dog continues to chase its tail. The End. I wish.

chcltlabz

Last time I checked, neither Environmetal or Nitro manufactured their own hulls, wads, primers, powder, etc.  Other companies manufacure those for them and they buy from them.  Its entirely possible that their subcontractors made changes without telling them.  Happens all the time.  They can go through a lengthy QA/QC battle with their subs, which costs money, or they can do the best with what they have.

These are not large billion dollar corporations with ISO Auditors on staff.

Entirely possible that certain components that they've purchased for years were no longer available from that sub, which also happens all the time.  (Where do you think the old White Hull shells went that are now so coveted???)  They have no choice but change to what someone else (or even the same company) claims is "the same product".
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

traphunter

There is not much doubt in my mind that last years Nitros 2.25 ounce straight #7's is different than this year. I went out and shot this years load one more time before season opened (shot it 3 times last week) and again got a very low pellet count compared to last years exact same shell (about 150 pellets lower in a 10" and 40yards than last year). If Nitro does not address this problem then I will be switching to hevi 13s next season. I can get the same pattern with them for a fraction of the cost.

SKFOOTER

Quote from: traphunter on April 14, 2011, 12:27:33 PM
There is not much doubt in my mind that last years Nitros 2.25 ounce straight #7's is different than this year. I went out and shot this years load one more time before season opened (shot it 3 times last week) and again got a very low pellet count compared to last years exact same shell (about 150 pellets lower in a 10" and 40yards than last year). If Nitro does not address this problem then I will be switching to hevi 13s next season. I can get the same pattern with them for a fraction of the cost.
I posted a few weeks ago that I was having the same problems with those Nitro loads and Letha with Nitro replied that Ray said there had been no change in the components of those loads.  But there does appear to be some reason for this year's Nitro loads to pattern worse than last year's.  I'm wondering if the problem lies in the shot itself, as Nitro purchases their Hevi-Shot from Environmetal??? :chucknorris: