OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: F150 vs chevy\gmc Sierr@ ? Which  (Read 11514 times)

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
Re: F150 vs chevy\gmc Sierr@ ? Which
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2017, 06:37:35 PM »
I drive a Tahoe for work.  They use oil from day one.  Amazing to me that GM says it's normal for a brand new vehicle to use a quart of oil every 2K miles.  We've had lots of AC and electrical issues in the fleet too.  Admittedly, although much of the problems seem to be gone in the latest 2 year models.

That's very odd........................

Of the 4 GM 5.3's in our family (03 Suburban, 07 Sierr@ , 09 Silverado, 12 Silverado) only the Suburban at 144K uses ANY oil at all and that's about 1 qt between changes.

Personal trucks GM
Quaker state
Quaker state
No oil problem with 300,000 miles .

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2017, 06:47:53 PM »
20+ mpg
Tom Foolery , don't worry about it you aren't the only one .
Heck I can't drive 55 either ! LOL

Offline nativeks

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2017, 08:43:37 PM »

Toyota, Nissan or Dodge for me.  I've owned a Tacoma 300k miles and never did anything but change the oil.  Between me, mom and dad our Dodge 1500's had around 750k on them and other than u-joints and a few sensors we never had any trouble.  My Titan has 111k on it right now and it's been solid.  Some of my friends have Chevy's and they are constantly have some small issue.  I never could like Ford.

If you want to see how much of your vehicle is American made here is a link.  Looks like Tacoma and Tundra lead the way.

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/MadeInAmerica/page/made-america-car-american-made-13795239

I'd love to have one of these 20+mpg full sized trucks, everyone has one but me.  Mine get around 14-15 in town and 17-18 on the interstate.   

A friend has a diesel that gets 25mpg "all day long" on dash computer.  When he calculated it off the odometer he was getting 16.8mpg.
Only good thing about my Dodge is the 23 mpg hand calculated.

Very impressive. 

We've had 3 newer model 1500's and a 2500 diesel and all got between 14mpg and 17mpg in town hand calculated.  Like I said, everyone has one but me has a 20+ mpg truck. 

We've not had one that kicks down to 4cyl on the interstate, maybe that's where we are missing out.
Mine is th Ecodiesel. It drops to 20 mpg on winter fuel. I got 26.5 mpg on a trip to Topeka with 4 ply tires. Went to San Antonio last summer and got 23.9 mpg on the return trip running 80 on I-35. Guys running GDE tunes do markedly better.

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2017, 09:23:39 PM »
Ecodiesel?? The one you want to get rid of?

Offline nativeks

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2017, 09:25:41 PM »
Hell yes. Going in for a recall Tuesday. While it's there I need them to see if they know why dust fogs into the cab. The engine and tranny have been great. The rest of the truck is a dumpster fire.

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2017, 08:55:55 PM »
22 mpg?  No gripe with that mileage out of a full size truck.  My Tacoma got that much once, on a highway trip of 300 miles.  Once... ;D

Just got back from a trip to my club in SC on Sunday. It averaged 23 MPG!!!! :o :icon_thumright: On a recent trip to a nearby town and back, I had it set at 55 MPH on the cruise control and it averaged 26 MPG!!! Even around town in stop and go traffic, it gets 21 to 22 MPG!!! I'm loving it!! And the turbo 6 has some get up and go when you need it!! :icon_thumright:

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2017, 10:27:23 PM »
22 mpg?  No gripe with that mileage out of a full size truck.  My Tacoma got that much once, on a highway trip of 300 miles.  Once... ;D

Just got back from a trip to my club in SC on Sunday. It averaged 23 MPG!!!! :o :icon_thumright: On a recent trip to a nearby town and back, I had it set at 55 MPH on the cruise control and it averaged 26 MPG!!! Even around town in stop and go traffic, it gets 21 to 22 MPG!!! I'm loving it!! And the turbo 6 has some get up and go when you need it!! :icon_thumright:
Pretty darn good mileage. That should help with all the running around you probably will be able to do in your retirement!

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2017, 11:35:21 AM »
Well, can't recall if I've chimed in on this one yet because I've been working my tail off trying to get this new business venture off the ground and have had very little time to be playing around on the computer these days. Having said that, I've been a GM fan most of my life. Not that I've got anything against Toyota because I've had one and still own another. Just always liked the GM trucks for some reason. I've had a few with little complaints and currently have a '97 S10 with the 4.3 and an '04 GMC Sierr@  1500 that I just bought from a fella. Its got an issue with either the EBCM or the modulator valve. Knew it was bad when I bought it so I'll fix it and use it for leisure trips. Otherwise, it's still the S10. As for gas mileage, the S10 is getting about 19 and the Sierr@  is around 13 but that's with the braking issues. Once the calipers stop hanging up it'll improve.