OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Shell to Gun/Choke Matching - Need Recommendations  (Read 1381 times)

Offline YELPA

Shell to Gun/Choke Matching - Need Recommendations
« on: June 22, 2017, 10:05:26 PM »
I have the following to pattern one day this Summer:

Gun 1: 12 gauge NEF single shot, 24" barrel threaded for Win choke, lengthened forcing cone
Available chokes: SumToy .650, TruGlo SSX .643, TruGlo Gobble Stopper .665, Kicks .660 and TruLock Fed 7s .650.

Gun 2: 12 gauge Yildiz TK 12 single shot, 28" barrel threaded for Tru-choke, lengthened forcing cone
Choke: SumToy .660

Available shells: Winchester XR HD 2 3/4", 1 1/2 ounce, 6s; Federal HW 2 3/4", 1 1/4 ounce, 7s; Federal HW 3", 1 5/8 ounce, 7s; Hevi-13 2 3/4", 1 1/2 ounce, 6s; Hevi 2 3/4", 1 1/2 ounce, hand load 5x7.5s; and Winchester Rooster 3", 1 1/2 ounce, 6s.

Help me narrow the field!  Which shell to choke would you try?  Of course, I'm going to try multiple combos, but interested to see what your recommendations from experience may be.  I'm all for taking what works and going with it.  Thank you!

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
Shell to Gun/Choke Matching - Need Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 09:11:43 AM »
Whichever chokes shot the 3" heviweight #7s the best. If an acceptable pattern is found I would stop right there. I tend to be the type to prioritize the ammo before the choke. I want good ammo and will play till I find the choke that works with it the best. I would start with .665 in the new England first. Looks like you only have one option for the other.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline Longshanks

• Longbeard
Re: Shell to Gun/Choke Matching - Need Recommendations
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 09:22:10 AM »
Gun 1:  Trulock .650/ Fed 7's

Gun 2:  Sumtoy .660

*buy a box of Winchester Longbeards 3" 6's and shoot through both guns if you want to see patterns quickly.  If you have an unlimited amount of time you have a science project on your hands with the other loads.

Offline SumToy

• Double Beard
    • sumtoycustoms
Re: Shell to Gun/Choke Matching - Need Recommendations
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 09:24:44 AM »
I think if you could get the 3 inch Winchester long beard you be good.  Now The HV-13 or winchester Rooster out of the ones you have listed 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA