OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best wood,and soundboard material.

Started by EasternGobblerHunter69, July 14, 2017, 12:53:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EasternGobblerHunter69

Can more than the one guy who was kind enough to give me his opinion on it tell me a good pot material if wood which, soundboard material, and for a two peice dymondwood striker top material for making a plain aluminum call.
When you quit learning from turkey hunting, your doing something wrong!

rodney gillikin

hard to beat a cherry or hackberry pot call .
Rodney Gillikin @
Pure T Momicked game calls
Bettie NC
https://www.facebook.com/PureTMommickedGameCalls/

Longbeardfever4ever

Honestly walnut or Padauk in aluminum over glass should do the trick. Birch top for the striker
Hook's Custom Calls
Keep The Fever Custom Calls
Romans 3:24

Spitten and drummen

Yellow heart or walnut for the pot. If you want a good mellowed sound I would say slate for a sound board and you want a higher pitch I would go glass . As far as a head for your striker , it comes down to how heavy you like your strikers. Personally I perfer a 1 piece striker on most of my pots. It is sooo many wood combos out that its hard to say what makes the best. In my experience , the denser woods make great pots for aluminum.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

West Augusta

My advice is pick a call maker.  Call him and talk.  He and you need to determine what a turkey sounds like to you.  Then let him build you a call out of whatever woods to match that sound. 
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

M,Yingling

IMO    3 woods that will never fail to produce a good turkey call black cherry ,,, hard maple and walnut as for the aluminum   want a higher pitched call use glass as sound board like a deeper raspier sound use slate or wood sound board
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

EasternGobblerHunter69

Thanks for the advice, ill def either contact jimmy Schaffer and just get a atomic 13 or call brookside and use yalls input and should come up with a good call. Sounds like walnut and cherry are staple call pots.
When you quit learning from turkey hunting, your doing something wrong!