OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: quieter report  (Read 2216 times)

Offline Life of Riley

quieter report
« on: June 20, 2017, 12:27:52 AM »
I'm looking to buy my first turkey gun and trying for one that will leave my ears in a state in which they still have a function besides hanging on the side of my head looking pretty. To put it another way, I won't be buying a 21" barrel shooting 3 1/2" shells that make the shooter one step closer to legally deaf with every pull of the trigger. I'm just curious which combos people have tried that are "less loud". I'm looking at a 24-28" barrel with a non ported choke. Beyond that, I'm interested if different loads produce a significantly different level of decibels. 12 or 20 I can go either way. Considering the same payload and powder a 20 might be louder based on constriction? I am also curious if a semi-auto gas gun is quieter than a pump or inertia gun.

Offline lowoctane

• Longbeard
  • “When I die, then I’ll be old.”
Re: quieter report
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 08:14:18 AM »
The only way to protect your ears is to wear hearing protection, period. Fortunately for us hunters, there are companies that manufacture quality ear protection that not only protect our ears from muzzle blast, but also enhance greatly our ability to hear. There are several types available at different price points, so, my strong advice is to search for the product suitable to your needs.
I have found they greatly enrichen my time in the woods no matter my quarry!
I don't hunt without mine.  :camohat:
I’m Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Offline Ihuntoldschool

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 08:28:07 AM »
12 louder than 20.   Go with a long barrel, non-ported choke, lighter payload.   I don't think you will notice a difference between gas/inertia/pump guns.

Offline Tom Foolery

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 01:06:13 PM »
They're all loud.  If you want to protect your hearing then you'll need to hunt in hearing protection. 

I can't tell a difference in noise from my short barrel ported chokes over long barrel nonported. 

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 09:56:03 PM »
My bow is pretty quiet.

Offline lowoctane

• Longbeard
  • “When I die, then I’ll be old.”
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 03:23:31 AM »
 :TrainWreck1:
I’m Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Offline Tail Feathers

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 05:08:26 PM »
My SX3 20 ga with the flush mount choke tube is much quieter than the single shot 20 with a shorter barrel.  But I've gotten to where I wear electronic hearing muffs a lot nowdays to save what hearing I have left.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Offline USMC0331

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 09:38:28 PM »
Salvo 12 suppressor.