OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

kick's .655 in 28" barrel

Started by agent eight seven O, June 19, 2017, 06:24:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agent eight seven O

Is a tighter .655 Kick's better reserved for shorter barrels or would it still be ok with a 28"? Will be shooting Winchester Super X #6 ammo. Thanks for any replies.

Yoder409

Can't say for certain with the KGT tube...................... but the Boswells always told me the .655" Comp-N-Choke tube was a better performer in 23" barrels and shorter, while the .665" tube was better suited for longer barrels.

This was primarily for #6 lead, but #5's work pretty similarly.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Longshanks

Kicks .655 and .660 shoot great out of my 28" bbl 870. The tighter of the two shoots better in my 21" bbl 870 than it does in the 28"bbl. .655 shoots the best patterns in both barrels with lead 6's.
    The Kicks .655 and 28bbl shot really good with Win lead 6's. Can't remember if it was XX, HV or
Super X. The .660 shot decent with HV 5's. It is hard to beat Kicks chokes and Winchester lead. Standard Pb or Longbeards.
   *Getting ready to go back through the standard Pb loads and my 28bbl. Did some work on the barrel so going to see where it is now.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: agent eight seven O on June 19, 2017, 06:24:51 PM
Is a tighter .655 Kick's better reserved for shorter barrels or would it still be ok with a 28"? Will be shooting Winchester Super X #6 ammo. Thanks for any replies.
It should do quite well. While I have found that, depending upon the design, tight chokes may work better than more open chokes, in shorter barrels, that does not keep them from working well in longer barrels. Normally a designer is speaking to his design and not to all chokes due to the very real differences in the "internal geometry" of chokes in general.
The Kick's choke is a fine product by the way.
Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Buford

I shoot a rem 870 12 gauge with 28 inch barrel and a .655 remington ventilator choke. Will pattern about any winchester number six shoot good at forty yards. The long beards are too tight for me at forty yards. Two hundred in the ten is too tight for me. Super x and double x sixes is more to my liking at forty. Also keeping the barrel nut tight can tighten your pattern a lot. I don't even notice the long barrel when hunting. Hope you find what you are looking for in a turkey shooter.     Buford

Longshanks

:
Quote from: Buford on June 20, 2017, 01:53:51 PM
I shoot a rem 870 12 gauge with 28 inch barrel and a .655 remington ventilator choke. Will pattern about any winchester number six shoot good at forty yards. The long beards are too tight for me at forty yards. Two hundred in the ten is too tight for me. Super x and double x sixes is more to my liking at forty. Also keeping the barrel nut tight can tighten your pattern a lot. I don't even notice the long barrel when hunting. Hope you find what you are looking for in a turkey shooter.     Buford

My best standard lead pattern to date is with the Ventilator .655 and a 26" bbl 870sm. Totally agree with the LB's being too tight in hunting situations for my liking. Shot allot of them but don't hunt with them. XX, HV and Super X much more suitable for the terrain that I hunt.

mtns2hunt

Always thought I was shooting a Kicks .665 until I looked closer. Turns out its a .655. It patterns well with almost everything I have shot through it. Currently shooting LB #4, 5 and 6's. Sometimes Federal 6's lead and a bunch of old turkey shells I am trying to get rid of. Everything patterns well and are great for the woods and I use LB for feilds. Barrel is 26 inches. Oh, does not like the hevi stuff at all - terrible patterns.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.