OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Mossberg 20 gauge set up  (Read 9328 times)

Offline Spurs Up

Re: Mossberg 20 gauge set up
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2017, 07:33:13 PM »
Put some Apex tss 9's in it and never look back...

Show us your patterns with that combo...

I don't have one with a Mossy but I'll bet my next pay check the 1-5/8oz 9's will out pattern any other factory load on the market... period!

You made a big statement; one that I suspect is absolutely correct.  However, I was hoping you had some first-hand experience or observations with that combination before emphatically endorsing it.  I'd be interested in seeing any "real world" patterns of 20 ga Apex loads. I'm sure they're great...I've just yet to see any.  If you have any, please consider sharing those either here or as a new thread on the 20 ga pattern forum.  Thanks!

Offline BBD

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2017, 01:39:14 PM »
Here are an 870 and M2 pattern you can look at. I'd suspect Mossy with right choke would do real similar.    870 21" barrel .570 Primos Tightwad put 323 in 10" at lasered 40 yards.  M2 put 306 and 294  in 10"    That's with a 2-3/4" 1-5/8 oz #9's  I loaded myself.

Offline BBD

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2017, 09:06:17 AM »
Got quiet quick...  :newmascot:

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2017, 09:14:05 AM »

The 870 has close to the same pattern I get from my 500.  I average around 330 with the Carlson 575 and handloaded 1 5/8 oz 3" #9s.
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline SumToy

• Double Beard
    • sumtoycustoms
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2017, 10:28:03 AM »
300 to 320 is about normal for most guns.  I have seen better and worse but we dont know what condition and distance. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Offline Spurs Up

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2017, 08:14:29 PM »

Yes it did, with apologies to the OP (falltoms) who started a--now hijacked--thread on use of a Mossy 20 bantam that he was setting up for his daughter.  I too "roll my own" and shoot a 20 with a hot core.  Nothing revolutionary about it, here or in Arkansas.  It would be tantamount to child abuse for a young lady to shoot a 20 ga, 1-5/8 oz alphabet load at the MVs advertised commercially or with any turkey hunting, handload recipe I've seen, especially through a tight choke and out of a Bantam 500. I don't think that's what he wants or needs for his daughter...

Again, my apologies to falltoms for contributing to the demise of an otherwise worthwhile thread.

Offline SumToy

• Double Beard
    • sumtoycustoms
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2017, 09:26:51 AM »

Yes it did, with apologies to the OP (falltoms) who started a--now hijacked--thread on use of a Mossy 20 bantam that he was setting up for his daughter.  I too "roll my own" and shoot a 20 with a hot core.  Nothing revolutionary about it, here or in Arkansas.  It would be tantamount to child abuse for a young lady to shoot a 20 ga, 1-5/8 oz alphabet load at the MVs advertised commercially or with any turkey hunting, handload recipe I've seen, especially through a tight choke and out of a Bantam 500. I don't think that's what he wants or needs for his daughter...

Again, my apologies to falltoms for contributing to the demise of an otherwise worthwhile thread.

Yup it has became that way as of late.  I would run the HV13 if normal HTL it has less pop then the Federal.   Now the lead Federal is bad boy at 30 and in.  It would get one at 40 but it only be dead not 300 very dead.  :z-guntootsmiley:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Offline falltoms

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2017, 12:03:25 PM »
I picked up my daughters gun. I tried the federal heavy weight #7.  I'm pleased with the results. Shot 4 targets. One at 35 and the rest at 40
 I average 150 in the 10. Nice pattern. Used Carlson 575. Sweet little gun. Cant wait to take her hunting
Ordered some Tru glo Magnum sights. When they come in we'll do some more shooting

Offline SumToy

• Double Beard
    • sumtoycustoms
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2017, 02:03:33 PM »
I picked up my daughters gun. I tried the federal heavy weight #7.  I'm pleased with the results. Shot 4 targets. One at 35 and the rest at 40
 I average 150 in the 10. Nice pattern. Used Carlson 575. Sweet little gun. Cant wait to take her hunting
Ordered some Tru glo Magnum sights. When they come in we'll do some more shooting

That is good numbers. 

Offline Spurs Up

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2017, 06:13:52 PM »

Sounds like a winning combo to me.  That'll get it done with plenty of room to spare. HW 7's are all that out of a 20 gauge.

Fun times are ahead.  Best wishes.

Offline falltoms

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2017, 07:52:01 PM »
Thank ya's kindly