OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Old Gobbler is costing me $$$  (Read 6623 times)

Offline Grey Owl

Old Gobbler is costing me $$$
« on: June 13, 2017, 08:19:12 PM »
Ever since I joined OG I've gone nuts over turkey calls. In just a matter of weeks I've bought 3 from Lonnie Mabry, ordered 2 from Lonnie Sneed, got one on the way from Chad Hutchenson, Scott Basehore & I'm on the list for a Winter Marlin Watkins. Not to mention just trading for a Crystal Mistress. I'm not a rich man!

I think I need help.

Offline Jroddc

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Re: Old Gobbler is costing me $$$
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 08:21:14 PM »
It only gets worse... :funnyturkey:

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 08:25:30 PM »
Welcome to the insanity     

You know it's bad when your yearly budget includes line items for turkey calls, taxidermy and turkey gunsmithing..............
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline SinGin

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 08:28:43 PM »
I've saved a ton of money by staying out of the shooting section. One year I got so wrapped up I bought barrels, choke, sights, shells and a bunch of other stuff, so I know how ya feel

Offline BABS9

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 08:43:20 PM »
I hear ya lol. I just bought two Marlin Watkins fiddle boxes and traded for another. I'm gonna go broke

Offline SteelerFan

• Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 08:43:51 PM »
It only gets worse... :funnyturkey:

Yep

Offline zsully

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 08:59:25 PM »
I started the call budget this year.  Blew through that pretty quick and didn't even scratch the itch.  I know I've got it bad but I just keep telling myself there are way worse things to spend my money on.  I can't tell you how many times I've got the death stare from my wife when another turkey call shows up in the mailbox.   It's all part of it.  :funnyturkey:

Offline merriamsman

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 09:04:19 PM »
I joined oldgobbler this year and bought more calls in one year than all the other years combined that I have been turkey hunting (30+ years!).

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 09:41:03 PM »
  I can't tell you how many times I've got the death stare from my wife when another turkey call shows up in the mailbox.   

Fortunately.............................. I have a VERY understanding Mrs.

Either that or she knows JUST enough about boxcalls to know that when I kick, she'll be set for quite a nice little while after the auction...................
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline Grey Owl

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2017, 09:45:52 PM »
  I can't tell you how many times I've got the death stare from my wife when another turkey call shows up in the mailbox.   

Either that or she knows JUST enough about boxcalls to know that when I kick, she'll be set for quite a nice little while after the auction...................

Great angle. I'm going to explain to my wife that I'm actually buying a "life insurance" policy for her one call at a time

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2017, 09:52:43 PM »

Great angle. I'm going to explain to my wife that I'm actually buying a "life insurance" policy for her one call at a time

Just don't make her mad or let her know just HOW MUCH the calls would net her...................

Hard to sleep right with one eye open...................

PA elitist since 1979

Offline Coop1082

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2017, 10:43:33 PM »
It's awful. I only recently caught the "bug" as well. In my third year of marriage so the understanding from the wife about the calls that go with the 7 months out of the year hunting  (clearly in fine print on the marriage contract  :) ) doesn't gel with her yet. However I have recently figured out shipping to my place of work is much simpler to avoid the death gaze....is this bad marriage practice?   :OGani:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2017, 11:50:19 PM »
 :jackson:
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2017, 12:06:39 AM »
I agree, but i'm just glad i'm able to buy some great custom calls..Just bought a new box call this pass week from Jeff White ...he makes some great box calls at reasonable price.. i see more custom call in my future..this turkey hunting is some much fun...I don't smoke and buy those 75 dollar carton of cigarettes. So i'm going to spend my money on turkey calls and whatever...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 09:30:51 AM by Greg Massey »

Offline jed clampett

• Longbeard
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2017, 01:08:49 AM »
Lots of funny answers...i love buying calls....for what I have spent this year...i could be taking a cruise some where...lol...lets face it....its a LOT of fun...only problem I got is when turkey season does roll around...and I look at all these pots and boxes...and wonder?....which ones today!!