OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Waterproof trumpets....

Started by The Woodsman, May 20, 2017, 09:13:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmclain

Austy

Ever try turning a hand grenade with the pin pulled, that's what its like turning acrylic at least that's been my experience.

KentuckyHeadhunter

I am in no way an expert here.  But it seems there are two different animals being mentioned.  Delrin is more dense than acrylic but not as hard as acrylic. Delrin has better sound quality (according to some way they test that:)  They are both technically a type of plastic.   I have trumpets made from both and I can't tell a difference.  After all the Cox Green Hornet was acrylic.  The original one was optical grade acrylic but the edition of 100 was all bar stock acrylic.  Dimensions and internals make more of a difference than material in my opinion.  That Permar Delrin .45 is my favorite trumpet regardless of weather.  It is an absolute reaper.  :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: mgm1955 on May 23, 2017, 05:36:10 PM
Quote from: mmclain on May 21, 2017, 01:25:00 PM
Quote from: merriamsman on May 20, 2017, 09:43:26 PM
I've got a couple of acrylic trumpets that are impervious to the weather, but those are hard to find. I'm not sure why more call makers use acrylic.

Because it's a pain in the arse to turn.
:TooFunny: :TooFunny: They are awesome calls though Matt.
Lol...I've got a couple of Matt's acrylic pain in the arses!! Also a couple of Ralphs..Great trumpets!!

merriamsman

I have a black acrylic made by Pappy Lewis,  a WildTalker green acrylic, and another green acrylic that I don't remember who made it - I like them all, but Pappy's is my favorite.

Terry

Quote from: merriamsman on May 27, 2017, 12:20:54 PM
I have a black acrylic made by Pappy Lewis,  a WildTalker green acrylic, and another green acrylic that I don't remember who made it - I like them all, but Pappy's is my favorite.
If you ever decide to sell the Wildtalker green, let me know

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

misfire

Any trumpet done with a CA finish is waterproof. I have a few I have done out of acrylic, guess I am in the minority, I like turning them.
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

merocustomcalls

I turned one today from phenolic resin, I'm sure it is probably waterproof. 

West Augusta

Trumpets are my go to call in the rain.  I got one from Mike Battey that's black plastic.
Don't forget wingbone calls.  They are also good in the rain.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.