OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

why a 20 over 12 ?

Started by DirtNap647, June 09, 2017, 09:33:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtNap647

I have always carried a 12 gauge 3 1/2" for turkeys. I want to get a 20 to play with after seeing all the craze about them with tss shells. but would love to know why everyone likes them so much over a 12. when I compare stats on the gun manufacture websites they seem to be about the same size and weight. my maxus weighs 7.5 lb Remington site shows the 20 weighing 7.1 and length to be about the same (unless you get a short barrel but you can get a short barrel in 12). maybe less recoil but I don't notice that when shooting at a turkey. maybe someone can help me on what i'm missing ?

WAGinVA

I have been using a 20 g 391 youth model for the last six years.  My previous gun was a Rem 1100 Mag with 28 inch full choke barrel.  This 20 is certainly lighter and more maneuverable and a hell of a lot easier to carry.  A lot easier to hold up for extended periods.  Extremely deadly to 12 gauge ranges with Fed HW 7s and even more deadly with TSS.  I will never go back!!

ccleroy

Light weight, lower recoil, better payload for a sub gauge....my 20's I have built are significantly lighter than my 12's. Being lighter weight is the greatest benefit.

honker22

I use a youth model 870 20 gauge.  It's obviously smaller and lighter than my 12, but I didn't choose it based on that.  I had been shooting 2 oz loads in my 12 and I saw what other's 20s were doing and decided to try it.  I had almost retired the youth 20 but decided to dedicate to turkeys.  It was the first gun my dad ever bought for me and it had killed lots of things but never a turkey.  I dipped it in mossy oak, put an eotech on it, loaded some 1 5/8s and have never looked back.  I haven't touched the 12 gauge in probably 7 years.  So mine was more of a nostalgia thing but it is nice having that tiny gun for maneuvering
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

mspaci

Have considered trying my NEF 20, its 5.5 lbs. I shoot an Ithaca 12 now, & the 20 Ithaca is the same weight. Mike

Greg Massey

Just like everyone said, if you try one and build it from a youth 870 - 21 inch barrel , you will never carry a 12 gauge again..shoot Federal HW 6 or 7 and Trulock choke 565 or Sumtoy 562.5 ...and you can thank us all later...

turkeyinstrut

If you want to get the most out of a 20 shoot TSS, it will simply amaze you, why carry a 8 pound gun when you can carry one less than 6 pounds that shoots just as good?

g8rvet

Honestly, with all the stuff I carry in the woods, an extra pound or two toting my gun is meaningless.  I went with a 20 mostly because I just wanted to.  I like the feel of the pistol grip stock and the ease of pointing the shorter barrel and lighter gun.  I can hold it up in position longer, with less strain and less fatigue when Ole Tom finally gets into range.  I also like the little Weatherby not sticking up above my head like the 870 does when ducking under and through cats claw briars in the thick swamps I often hunt.  I just snag it less. I also look forward to sighting it in, instead of dreading the 2 ounce loads shaking my fillings loose every season when sighting in my 12 (which is not a dedicated turkey gun).  So, now I clean and put my 20 away and get it out every year in the spring, ready to hunt, no sighting in needed with HW #7. It is 4 for 4 on turkeys.  I wanted a new toy and the 20 was it.  You certainly do not need one.  My 870 12 has killed in 3 states and one foreign country- deer, duck, goose, hog, turkey, dove, quail and even one possum! 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Longshanks

Quote from: WAGinVA on June 09, 2017, 10:05:23 AM
I have been using a 20 g 391 youth model for the last six years.  My previous gun was a Rem 1100 Mag with 28 inch full choke barrel.  This 20 is certainly lighter and more maneuverable and a hell of a lot easier to carry.  A lot easier to hold up for extended periods.  Extremely deadly to 12 gauge ranges with Fed HW 7s and even more deadly with TSS.  I will never go back!!

Shooting the same set up with Hevi 13 choke and Fed HW7's. Those are the exact reasons I hunt with the 20 guage at times. Have a Pure Gold .570 choke as well and going to shoot the LB 6's through it and see what happens. It will shoot the Remington Hevi Shot 6's to 40 with PG.

DirtNap647

Well guys talked me into it just bought a 870 youth now what choke

Greg Massey

Trulock 565 is what i like or Sumtoy 562.5 choke

Forked lighting

Bought a Rem 11/87 20 ga carlson choke an fed heavy weight # 7,s killed 2 with it this year lighter an great pattern think my 870 turkey speacial waat see much time in the woods anymore

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

honker22

Quote from: Dirt nap on June 09, 2017, 07:56:04 PM

I'm shooting the Redhead or Basspro Blackout.  I can't recall the constriction but I only had one choice at the time.  I really didn't pattern anything in the .570-.585 range that wasn't good. 
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

Frylock

Quote from: Dirt nap on June 09, 2017, 07:56:04 PM

For Fed Heavyweight get Sumtoy 562-5.  For other ammo I dunno. 

SumToy

In the past we was young. The heavy 12 not hurt to carry. The massive recoil of 3.5 was cool.    Now we get older and smarter.  The light gun is easier to carrier long ways.  The recoil don't hurt us.  The technology in chokes and shells have turned the 20ga into a solid 40yds set up.   
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA