OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: You loved it but they stopped making it...  (Read 14393 times)

Offline WiLL B

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: You loved it but they stopped making it...
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2017, 10:39:52 PM »
Remington 3.5 Heavy Shot #5 and Winchester Supreme Elite Extended Range 3.5 #5

Offline mikejd

• Double Beard
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2017, 10:51:52 PM »
Almost everything that I have ever liked is discontinued. I do try to by multiple when I like something. Problem is this is how you become a hoarder.

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2017, 11:00:26 PM »
Primos Spring hen in wood!

Offline ilbucksndux

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2017, 01:17:04 AM »
I had a cotton face mask that i loved........loved it so much I bought several. Over the years they wore out and got lost.
Gary Bartlow

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
You loved it but they stopped making it...
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2017, 06:54:05 AM »
Actual hunting magazines. Not sales brochures. Where stories were told and the writer could actually write. They don't make hunters like they used to come to think of it. Where men would actually hunt and endure bad weather, weren't scared to drag a deer a couple miles, walk for hours and actually enjoy the process. Nowadays it's all electric buggies and shooting shacks, private game farms and cry when you don't kill something. I miss the smell of trails end and oiled leather mixed with the smell of my grandma's cinnamon rolls coming out of the oven as grandad got ready for opening day of deer season. I miss the days of just hanging the deer in a tree out in the yard and just the overall sense of excitement and wonder I had as a child experiencing these things. When it was all new to me and I could only daydream about when I could finally go.
Some of it is my fault. Time has jaded me to a point. I have killed plenty of game in 22 years. The edge has kind of been worn off. I still love hunting,mainly turkeys but it just ain't the same as when I was itching to get a gun in my hands and be allowed to go. I really believe most hunters are born that way. I am a lot more like my grandad than my dad. I have always been drawn to the woods and have a rambling spirit when it comes to hunting. Always something to see over the next hill. My grandad has noticed it as well. One of the biggest compliments he gave me was when he came over earlier than was expected for a family gathering one spring a few years ago. I came in from turkey hunting and he came out to look at the bird and he put his hand on my shoulder as we were walking back and said "my grandson the turkey hunter". "I never really cared to hunt turkeys that much myself but I knew a couple of them and they were all good men and darned good hunters." From an old Irishman that doesn't express his feelings much I don't think it could get much better than that.
Sorry to ramble but I think I miss the old days and the old mindset more than the gadgets.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2017, 07:24:46 AM »
Cabelas kangaroo leather gloves and Halloran laminate slate, few friends wish HR still made their slugger, especially in 20 ga. Was a good gun for little money. American .22 bolts like the old Winchester n Remingtons, how bout American gun companys making guns in America?
Guns that were reliable like Rem or Win actually working?
Boots made here? Cars made here? Trucks that cost less than your house?
How bout women being made like they used to? They're all broke in the head now
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 07:38:54 AM by Bowguy »

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2017, 07:29:24 AM »
Ammo....Never fails whenever I find some that's "killer", they change to something else!
This fix is simple-reload better stuff n always be able to replicate

Offline Forked lighting

« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2017, 11:31:25 AM »
Morris feel gloves
Original rocky boots when they were in usa
300 ci straight 6 in ford F- 150 pick up

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2017, 01:21:28 PM »
Actual hunting magazines. Not sales brochures. Where stories were told and the writer could actually write. They don't make hunters like they used to come to think of it. Where men would actually hunt and endure bad weather, weren't scared to drag a deer a couple miles, walk for hours and actually enjoy the process. Nowadays it's all electric buggies and shooting shacks, private game farms and cry when you don't kill something. I miss the smell of trails end and oiled leather mixed with the smell of my grandma's cinnamon rolls coming out of the oven as grandad got ready for opening day of deer season. I miss the days of just hanging the deer in a tree out in the yard and just the overall sense of excitement and wonder I had as a child experiencing these things. When it was all new to me and I could only daydream about when I could finally go.
Some of it is my fault. Time has jaded me to a point. I have killed plenty of game in 22 years. The edge has kind of been worn off. I still love hunting,mainly turkeys but it just ain't the same as when I was itching to get a gun in my hands and be allowed to go. I really believe most hunters are born that way. I am a lot more like my grandad than my dad. I have always been drawn to the woods and have a rambling spirit when it comes to hunting. Always something to see over the next hill. My grandad has noticed it as well. One of the biggest compliments he gave me was when he came over earlier than was expected for a family gathering one spring a few years ago. I came in from turkey hunting and he came out to look at the bird and he put his hand on my shoulder as we were walking back and said "my grandson the turkey hunter". "I never really cared to hunt turkeys that much myself but I knew a couple of them and they were all good men and darned good hunters." From an old Irishman that doesn't express his feelings much I don't think it could get much better than that.
Sorry to ramble but I think I miss the old days and the old mindset more than the gadgets.

I miss the more simple times as well when not every one was trophy hunting.They all grow food plots now and surround everything with trail cams and name all their deer and make their hit list then make fun of someone who shot a 110 inch 8 point buck. I don't care what anyone shoots if a fork horn makes you happy that's great.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2017, 01:54:21 PM »

I miss the more simple times as well when not every one was trophy hunting.They all grow food plots now and surround everything with trail cams and name all their deer and make their hit list then make fun of someone who shot a 110 inch 8 point buck. I don't care what anyone shoots if a fork horn makes you happy that's great.
  We plant food plots and put out special minerals to help the deer with ( CWD ) disease and yes we put out trail cam's around our food plots and such. It not only gives us a number or count of our deer, but it helps us know how many predators we have in the area. We decide what deer we want to take out also and we don't hold that you have to just kill a 8 point. We take what we all decide needed in keep our deer health. Doe's and buck big or small.. And i don't care how many cam's you have out your not going to get pictures of all the deer in your area as the rut kick's in...just opinion on what we do...agree i don't care what anyone kills or how they hunt..just be safe...

Offline hookedspur

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2017, 03:42:15 PM »
Big Johns Beans and Fixens.   :toothy12:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Offline Ozarks Hillbilly

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2017, 04:40:33 PM »
Quail habitat in south central Missouri Ozarks. 

Offline nyhunter

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2017, 04:46:55 PM »
Mouth calls with the thicker/stiffer tape.

Original Winchester extended range 3.5" 2oz #6's

Penn's woods 3/4 face mask

Offline beagler

• Double Beard
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2017, 06:01:19 PM »
2nd on the Mossy Oak Diffusion pullover.
Never Misses

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2017, 06:04:42 PM »
Mossy Oak Forest Floor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk