OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Do you hold out or go all in?

Started by tha bugman, June 07, 2017, 10:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tha bugman

With the price of TSS shells, Nitro, etc.  Do you just put one in the chamber and back it up with cheaper lead loads or do you fill your gun to capacity with the expensive stuff?

davisd9

I load TSS and every shell in my gun is the same.  Usually back up shots are the more risky ones so why would I go with an inferior product?
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Happy

Use all the same shell.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

USMC0331

yelpaholic

Bowguy

I'd use the same stuff though I use neither. Nitro will blow your barrel. TSS I've never used n the most popular sizes aren't legal where I hunt.
In lots of turks over lots of time I can't recall once or twice maybe needing a second shot. The cost shouldn't be a factor.  Keep em with the effective range and take only good shots. The killing is easy than.

decoykrvr

Shot shells, either TSS or Hevi-13's are the cheapest consumable component of my turkey season and I wouldn't even consider having an inferior shell in my gun in the all important "back-up" role.  I usually put a H-13, 7 in the chamber backed by H-13, 6's or  MagBlends in the magazine.  I have had a couple of times where a moving bird, or just bad shot placement on my part, knocked down a gobbler which got up, one time off and running, and the heavier larger shot "back-up" load knocked down and killed the bird.

Farmboy27

K.I.S.S.  All the same. If you can afford to pattern the expensive stuff and afford the one in the barrel, then you can afford to put 2 more in the magazine.

Fieldturkey

Once yiu start loading tss you'll never shoot anything else

Spurs Up

Quote from: tha bugman on June 07, 2017, 10:54:10 AM
With the price of TSS shells, Nitro, etc.  Do you just put one in the chamber and back it up with cheaper lead loads or do you fill your gun to capacity with the expensive stuff?

All in. Loaded to the gills.

It's one of those things that "if you have to ask the price..."

That said, let a coyote or the like stroll by and I'm reaching in my vest for a throw-down LB.

BandedSpur

I shoot an O/U so no magazine, but both barrels contain the good stuff.

Ozarks Hillbilly

howl

Single barrel .410 only holds one. So, yeah, I go all in!

the Ward

All in. Whatever shells I patterned the gun/choke with gets loaded up. No surprises that way.

Gobble!

Quote from: davisd9 on June 07, 2017, 11:09:11 AM
I load TSS and every shell in my gun is the same.  Usually back up shots are the more risky ones so why would I go with an inferior product?

x2. It's only money, they make it everyday.