turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What Choke for Weatherby SA-459 12 gauge

Started by grayfox, June 06, 2017, 08:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grayfox

Plan on getting a Weatherby SA-459 12 gauge turkey gun before next season. I'll be shooting 2 oz's of Hevi-13 #7's. What choke do you guys suggest? Been using the Hev-Shot Hevi-13 .662 choke in my 870. These are some patterns that was shot in it. This is about what I'm looking for.

allaboutshooting

Congratulations! Those guns have an excellent following and the feedback that I get is very positive. There are several chokes that will work well with that shell. With that gun and that shell, the SSX is a sure bet https://allaboutshooting.com/products/12-gauge-ssx-beretta-benelli-mobil-choke-80 for good even patterns without large gaps. It just seems to be made for the Hevi-13 shells.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

grayfox

I believe on the newer models (Realtree Extra Green) they changed to the chokes that work with Mossberg, Winchester & Browning Invector not the Invector Plus.

FL-Boss

I know that is 100% true for the 20GA models.  I assume the same holds true for the 12GA guns as well.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: FL-Boss on June 07, 2017, 10:41:40 AM
I know that is 100% true for the 20GA models.  I assume the same holds true for the 12GA guns as well.
QuoteI believe on the newer models (Realtree Extra Green) they changed to the chokes that work with Mossberg, Winchester & Browning Invector not the Invector Plus.
Yes, that's certainly true for the 20s but I thought the 12s were still Mobil-Choke. I could however easily be mistaken in this. It's probably best to have one in hand, prior to purchasing a turkey choke. Gathering information as you are, is always a good idea and allows you to be prepared when the time comes.

Thanks,
Clark

SumToy

Quote from: allaboutshooting on June 07, 2017, 10:18:28 PM
QuoteI believe on the newer models (Realtree Extra Green) they changed to the chokes that work with Mossberg, Winchester & Browning Invector not the Invector Plus.
Yes, that's certainly true for the 20s but I thought the 12s were still Mobil-Choke. I could however easily be mistaken in this. It's probably best to have one in hand, prior to purchasing a turkey choke. Gathering information as you are, is always a good idea and allows you to be prepared when the time comes.

Thanks,
Clark

Clark the ones I seen are win choke.  Now the 20ga you never know.  It was the US gun was win and the Turkey was Mobil but not if it after 2015 they say all win.  From what i can gather the Moss (about the same if not the same) has not change.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

allaboutshooting

Quote from: SumToy on June 08, 2017, 09:11:12 AM
Quote from: allaboutshooting on June 07, 2017, 10:18:28 PM

Thanks,
Clark

Clark the ones I seen are win choke.  Now the 20ga you never know.  It was the US gun was win and the Turkey was Mobil but not if it after 2015 they say all win.  From what i can gather the Moss (about the same if not the same) has not change.

Thanks. I know there have been several changes in those guns over time. I appreciate the feedback.

Thanks again,
Clark

grayfox

According to the web site it uses the Winchester, Mossberg & older Browning chokes.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: grayfox on June 08, 2017, 10:05:20 AM
According to the web site it uses the Winchester, Mossberg & older Browning chokes.
Win-Choke, Acu-Choke and Invector choke. All the same thread type. Good to know.

Thanks,
Clark

grayfox

What choke constriction should I try first for the Hevi-13 #7's? 

allaboutshooting

Quote from: grayfox on June 10, 2017, 11:46:11 PM
What choke constriction should I try first for the Hevi-13 #7's?
The #7 shot flows well through chokes with tight exit diameters, .640 - .655, but it all depends upon the internal geometry of the choke tube. As an example, the Hevi-13 ported turkey choke with an e.d. of .662, throws great patterns with that shell. Each designer makes what he feels is best for a shell, so it's not all just about the exit diameter.
Thanks,
Clark

SumToy

650 to 665 with us. It all about you shoot more woods or fields.   I know some have gone as small as 640 like Clark said I just have not tried it.  I know the old hastings folks did it all the time. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

grayfox

I'll probably just start with a .662 like the Hevi-13 choke & go from there. It worked well in my 870. Thanks a bunch!

Smeds

I bought the same gun a week ago.  Just received a Trulock HW 7 choke tube for it based on results from others.  Was shooting Longbeard #5's, fairly certain I'll like the Fed Heavyweight 7's better.  I'm sending the trigger off to Rob Roberts, it's not very good (being nice with that) compared to my other shotguns.  Can't find a gunsmith in my area that thinks they can definitely do something about the trigger ... just got a bunch of "we can try" replies.  Um ... no.

Is your trigger similar?
I don't mind my wife having the last word ... in fact I'm usually delighted when she gets to it.

grayfox

Smeds I have not got my gun yet. It's on layaway at Buds Gun Shop. Broke a tooth & had to have a crown so it set me back $740. I'll get the gun probably in August. Should have some more funds saved up by then to finish paying it off. I'm planning on sending mine to Rob Roberts for a trigger job also. Hope to have it all ready to go by next spring. I did order a Hevi-Shot Choke for it from Cabela's while it was on sale. I had some points so I got it for $20.37 shipped. If it don't work for me I'll try something else later. Yea I don't blame you for not sending it to someone who just says they will try. I'd rather pay more money & know I'm gonna be happy with it.