OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Looking for a new pump  (Read 3971 times)

Offline Terry

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
Looking for a new pump
« on: June 03, 2017, 08:32:35 AM »
I am going to get a new 12 gauge pump before next season. I have had some issues with Remington in the past and would like to stay away from them. Reliability and problem free use is most important to me. What do you guys reccomend? I am leaning towards the BPS because of Brownings reputation for a step above in the quality department.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline Prohunter3509

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Looking for a new pump
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 08:40:11 AM »
 :happy0064:
Just had dealing with browning on my bps
He'll they replaced the gun
Hard to beat that
Dura touch was sticky it was an 05 nwtf
They kept it a little longer than they should have and replaced it with a new one . I don't care what part of the country you from that's service lol
Can't beat it

Offline DUCKDIGGLER

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 09:44:59 AM »
Browning has $100 rebate on BPS shotguns right now...... just sayin!  :blob10:

Google it!

Offline allaboutshooting

• In Memorial
  • Long Spur Gobbler
    • allaboutshooting
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 10:48:23 AM »
I own and shoot a number of pump shotguns, including Benelli, Browning, Mossberg, Remington and Winchester. Frankly, they are all good guns just different in some respects. I don't see the Mossberg "Flex" pumps getting a lot of press but they are fine shotguns and very versatile. Equipped with the LPA trigger, it's an excellent choice. Those guns also have one of the best factory recoil pads I've seen on guns of any type or price. I'd recommend you take a look at that one and see how it fits you.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Offline Terry

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
Looking for a new pump
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 11:49:48 AM »
Clark, what manufacture has the fewest issues in your experience?

Offline SumToy

• Double Beard
    • sumtoycustoms
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 02:17:22 PM »
Remington , Moss then Browning.   Now the new winchester pump is same browning as in barrel spec. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 02:23:36 PM »
Browning makes a top of the line pump,be aware they are heavy,but well made.

Offline allaboutshooting

• In Memorial
  • Long Spur Gobbler
    • allaboutshooting
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2017, 04:02:48 PM »
Clark, what manufacture has the fewest issues in your experience?

I shoot all those guns a lot for both hunting and in competition. As far as functioning, I've not really had any issues with any of those guns. Some 870 receivers are prone to rust and need attention after use. I've never had a BPS or 500 with rust problems. Some older 870s with 3.5" chambers had feeding or ejection problems but those are easily solved.

Thinking over the last 3 decades of both competition and trying to be of help to other shooters, I can't really recall any consistent problems with any of those 3 pumps and the Benellis have been pretty much trouble free as well.

The 870s and BPSs have pretty heavy triggers as a rule. The standard 500 is about the same but the LPA trigger makes it more like a rifle.

The 870 and BPS standard models are not drilled and tapped for sights. The standard 500 is, so that's something to keep in mind. Bases for the 870 (once it's tapped) and the 500 are inexpensive and readily available. The base for the BPS is not always available and is several times the price of the others.

The BPS is heavy, the 870 and the 500 seem about the same weight to me and balance the same for me.

Lastly, barrel quality can vary on the 870 and the 500 but all the BPSs that I've seen have excellent barrel quality.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Offline Terry

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
Looking for a new pump
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2017, 05:02:30 PM »
Thanks for the replies. My 870 supermag has ejection and feeding issues. It also dents the brass and seems to chew up the rim of the brass. The gun is still functional,  just seems poor quality.

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2017, 06:36:25 PM »
835.  Bought mine 10 years ago new at Wally World, very reliable, Excellent patterns with a variety of chokes and loads and they don't break the bank.

Offline longislandloco

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2017, 07:54:39 PM »
I have looked at the new BPS' in 12GA, beware the wood/metal fit on the new guns, very poor on the 12's I've seen, wood very proud if you go the wood stocked version, many wood burrs on the forearm inletting, the 20GA guns seem perfect, maybe a supplier issue.........if your going synthetic, no issues.
"A man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun"…..Old Moe

Offline Coop1082

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2017, 08:37:46 PM »
Bought a new BPS 12 gauge this year in mossy oak camo. Love it outside of the duratouch finish. I shot a many that my friends own from a Benelli Supernova, new 870 super mag, and Winny SXP. My next choice is a Mossberg 835, and that's strictly because of the number of birds that have fell victim to mine. It's quite a few years old and has been drug through some of the worst weather and terrain you could imagine and hasn't let me down, I just felt this year was a good year to add to the gun safe and the BPS won out. I've been very satisfied thus far.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2017, 09:13:55 PM »
Ithaca is worth a look. Very well put together gun.

Offline mspaci

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2017, 03:05:59 PM »
iTHACA

Offline decoykrvr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2017, 03:48:12 PM »

Ithaca X2