OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: 2.5 reed call ??  (Read 2516 times)

Offline Codeman

2.5 reed call ??
« on: June 02, 2017, 08:22:26 PM »
As you can tell I'm a newbie first time on my hand jig how do u make a 2.5 reed call where does the half reed go I hope you understand the question I'm having a hard time explaining it

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
Re: 2.5 reed call ??
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 09:19:27 AM »
Most of the calls I have seen over the years have had the "short reed" at the bottom, although I have also seen a few with the short reed on top.  Honestly, I am not sure what the value of using short reeds on calls is.  There are so many factors that influence the sound and tonal qualities in mouth calls that it is difficult for me to believe that placing a short reed in a call has any real impact. 

That is not say that using multiple reeds and staggering their placement near the front of the call will not impact the sound.  It will.  The bottom line is that experimentation in building calls is the only real way to determine if the use of short reeds really is a factor in sound quality.  Then again, you could probably make several calls using the same "formula" in terms of reed numbers, spacing, thicknesses, tension, and cuts, and end up with every call sounding a bit differently.  That's just the way it is with mouth calls.   

Offline Lonehowl

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 10:44:43 PM »
The ones I make have the half reed on the top. It stiffens the call up a bit for guys that want a 2 reed call but dont like how "soft" they feel.
Mark
Edit: to answer the question.. just place.the half reed like a 1/4" or so above the others. Experiment and adjust from there.

Offline Codeman

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 09:57:52 AM »
Ok cleared it up some for me thank you