OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Gluing up a Pot call

Started by beardhunter87, June 03, 2017, 11:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beardhunter87

Hey guys. I need some help. When gluing up a call after all the wood work and Tru oil finishing I have done. Nothing worse than a high pitch call with no raspy roll over. Some turn out good. I feel it's maybe I'm using too much goop? Or maybe cause I clamp the sound board AND surface so there's prob no room for resonation? Should I just use a small line of goop and not use alot of pressure so my soundboard has that Pop? Any help would be appreciated on the final steps of gluing them up. I know the blanks are good depth as some turn out great! I'm

M,Yingling

well for some strange reason it happens I have made 8 calls at a time same board and 1 or 2 just don't have it first thing is tear bad ones  apart check all measurements if good re glue hope for best ,,I would say if some one says evey call they build is good They are just shipping anything out door    build enough calls and when u pick up a square blank youll know what u have to tweak inside to get desired sound  light wood or heavy

after finish do u check the height of your sound board ? the slight finish my make a difference I always sand mine clear after finish same way with ledge surface sits on take razor clean finish on then double check your heights   

in any glue joint you don't want to squeeze all glue out me I use a heavy weights  hear of  lots guys using soup cans   ,, me I get in a routine glueing not to much not to little  I like give a half twist after setting surface in and center it . if it locks tight ( cant move surface) to ledge after twisting  theirs not enough glue I use syringes to me that's best way get good contestant bead  and again u do enough it becomes easy

I glue sound board let weight sit at least 8 hrs . When I do surface 12 hours before I even try play no way that glue is dried ,,,IMO you run them before glue dry u make things loose  IMO no call will sound the same if u run it 2 hrs after glue up compared to 12 hrs Glue dried ,,leason learned LOL     
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

beardhunter87

Ok thanks Mike! Ya know I haven't checked my edges or pedestal after finishing. I may need to start doing that. And sounds like heavy weights or a clamp system for soundboard and surface is ok. Maybe I need to lower the pedestal a tiny bit as it's normally too high pitch without rollover, not a deadened hollow sound. I know you what your saying as I have your calls and they sound perfect to me in pitch and rasp. (I like a raspy back end) maybe next one I'll measure measure, maybe not use alot of goop as I do w a syringe at time use a decent amount where it squeezes out a bit and I'll use heavy weights for more than 8 hours per Soundboard. I'm know to pick up and try about 3 hours later so I could be harming myself. Thanks Mike