OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Weatherby SA-459 12 ga.  (Read 2456 times)

Offline Smeds

Weatherby SA-459 12 ga.
« on: June 02, 2017, 12:01:50 PM »
Picked up a new gun, added a Vortex Venom 3 moa red dot as well.  To confirm other reports, the trigger on this gun is pretty bad (at least mine is).  I compared it to my SBEII and an older Beretta AL390ST.  Both Italian's had a nice crisp trigger, but the SA-459 definitely has some creep ... takes forever to reach the point of fire.  I caught myself flinching last night while slowly squeezing the trigger.

I'm probably going to send the trigger off to Rob Roberts, as there aren't any local gunsmiths I know up in my neck of the woods.  I'm considering getting the forcing cone lengthened and polishing done as well. 

These semi-autos from Weatherby are pretty darn affordable ... might as well throw some money at it to make it even better!

Do I need to ship FFL to FFL, or can I just box it up and ship it via UPS?  Never shipped a gun before.  Thanks for any input!
I don't mind my wife having the last word ... in fact I'm usually delighted when she gets to it.

Offline ccleroy

• Longbeard
    • Spring Allure Custom Calls
Weatherby SA-459 12 ga.
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 02:49:33 PM »
If you're just sending it to for forcing cone work and a trigger job all he will need is the barrel and trigger group. No FFL needed, box and ship.

Offline allaboutshooting

• In Memorial
  • Long Spur Gobbler
    • allaboutshooting
Re: Weatherby SA-459 12 ga.
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 09:14:30 AM »
As the owner of a gun, you may ship it directly to any FFL holder and he may return it directly to you.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Offline Smeds

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 01:46:57 PM »
If you're just sending it to for forcing cone work and a trigger job all he will need is the barrel and trigger group. No FFL needed, box and ship.
As the owner of a gun, you may ship it directly to any FFL holder and he may return it directly to you.

Thanks,
Clark

Thank you ... much appreciated.
I don't mind my wife having the last word ... in fact I'm usually delighted when she gets to it.

Offline Smeds

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 02:27:15 PM »
Finally tore down the Weatherby, and boxed up the barrel and trigger assembly.  My town's local UPS drop-off is an Ace Hardware.  I was told upon arrival that gun parts in any form are forbidden to ship with UPS.  I chalked it up to an over-zealous store owner's policy ... because I couldn't find a thing on UPS' website that mentioned that.  Sure, there are some restrictions ... but a barrel and trigger fall outside of that. 

I knew the guys at the store, so I ended up sending "collectibles" to Rob Roberts Gun Works instead.   :icon_thumright:

Offline rangerGT

Weatherby SA-459 12 ga.
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 10:26:08 AM »
I wouldn't bother with forcing cone work.  It will shoot good without it.  I sent my SA459 trigger to Rob Roberts and it came back perfect! 

Sent from my typewriter

Offline ccleroy

• Longbeard
    • Spring Allure Custom Calls
Weatherby SA-459 12 ga.
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 11:02:40 AM »
That store owner is an idiot, you can ship parts and a whole gun to an FFL, I've done it plenty!