OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Homemade box call  (Read 2451 times)

Offline Dakota.Krupp

Homemade box call
« on: June 01, 2017, 06:34:53 PM »
I just recently made a box call in a shop class in school. This is the first box call I have made and I am looking for some tips and suggestions. The call is pretty much done, it just needs to be tuned. My first question is if I should put any type of finish on it. I already put some stain on it, but am just wondering if I should put anything else on. The second thing is, when you go to make the noise it makes noise both on the in stroke and the out stroke. I am wondering if there is anyway to fix that or if i have to make a new paddle or something.

Offline nsselle

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Homemade box call
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 09:30:07 PM »
First, welcome to old gobbler :turkey2:

Youll get a few suggestions here. Wish i could help but no clue about tuning a call. Good luck

Offline Disney

• Poor old boy couldn't resist a Timber Tune cluck.
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 12:53:12 AM »
You should put a sealer on the inside and outside of the box, and ONLY on the topside of the paddle. If you decide to stain it you can.DO NOT apply sealer, stain or a finsh on the underside of the paddle.
You should sand the paddle lightly with like 220 grit sandpaper or finer Lengthwise. When ready then apply box call chalk. ALOT of chalk you buy in the store has wax in it, DON'T use that.
As far,as tuning, make sure you adjust the screw so the center of the paddle is directly on top of the center of the curve on the side of the box.
Lightly sand the top edge or rail of your call. You don't want any stain, sealer on it. I usually sand about 1/8 inch down on both sides of the rail or lip where the paddle rides.
The very top edge of that lip should be lightly sanded to a rounded edge. Be careful not to sand so much that you change the top curve on the top of the box. You should only get noise when moving the paddle in one direction.
This is a start for you. I hope it helps. I am sure there are other people on this forum that can give you better advice and suggestions. I'm only telling you how I do it and I learn more each time I make a call. Hopefully someone else can help you more than me. Good luck. Disney
Maker of Timber Tune Custom made pot calls. Fine domestic and beautiful exotic wood.
timbertunes126@gmail.com

Offline Disney

• Poor old boy couldn't resist a Timber Tune cluck.
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 01:07:14 AM »
Also, the bottom of the paddle that slides across the top rails should NOT be flat. The bottom should be somewhat rounded on the entire length of where it meets the top rails of the box. It must be the same roundness, like quarter moon shape and exactly the same contour the whole length of the paddle, with the exception of the handle.
Maker of Timber Tune Custom made pot calls. Fine domestic and beautiful exotic wood.
timbertunes126@gmail.com