OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: New guy with a ?  (Read 3140 times)

Offline Hooksnhorns

New guy with a ?
« on: April 13, 2011, 09:51:59 AM »
Been tryin to join OG for bout a month now, got approved. I've got a question. I've got a NEF 10 ga. , and I'm shootin Nitro 4,5&7 triplex loads and straight 7's. I've got a .690 JH I've been runnin em through. I've also tried a .685 rhino with almost identical results on the triplex loads. I'm wonderin if the .690 is too tight seeing how I'm only getting round 200 with triplex and only 240 with the 7's? May have to get a .720. ?? What do y'all think? Any info will be appreciated!Oh yea, really enjoy this site!
Don't Tread On Me

Offline deadbuck

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: New guy with a ?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 11:33:09 AM »
Welcome aboard! Sounds like you are at a good starting point already with those numbers. Have you shot it at any birds yet?

Offline Hooksnhorns

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 12:01:18 PM »
Thanks. No, I haven't shot anything with it yet. Still tryin to get it right. I just bought it before season opened and I've still got to find some adj f/o sights that'll bolt to the pre drilled holes, and maybe get it dipped or painted. Haven't decided which yet. Meanwhile, I'll be huntin with an 870 sm that I slowly fixed up like I want it. It patterns as good or better than the 10 ga.
Don't Tread On Me

Offline new2turkey

• Saco, Maine
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 12:16:27 PM »
Been tryin to join OG for bout a month now, got approved. I've got a question. I've got a NEF 10 ga. , and I'm shootin Nitro 4,5&7 triplex loads and straight 7's. I've got a .690 JH I've been runnin em through. I've also tried a .685 rhino with almost identical results on the triplex loads. I'm wonderin if the .690 is too tight seeing how I'm only getting round 200 with triplex and only 240 with the 7's? May have to get a .720. ?? What do y'all think? Any info will be appreciated!Oh yea, really enjoy this site!

Does the pattern appear blown out with multiple large gaps in the pattern?

This would result in being over-choked... Can you post any pics?

Offline Hooksnhorns

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 12:41:24 PM »
Beleive it is. I don't have any pics yet. I'll try to take some and post this evenin or tomorrow.
Don't Tread On Me

Offline presdme

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 08:18:58 PM »
 I think your patterns are very good. Are they at 40 yards and 10 inch circle? If so I dont know that I would change much. I have a nef 10. I am using a kicks gobblin thunder 680. With win supreme 6 shot I get 170 or better in a 10 inch circle at 40 yards.  My only problem is  winchester quit making 6 shot in that load and with a kicks tube you cannot shoot heavy shot. I have 7 shells left and then back to the testing to get a sore arm again :welcomeOG:

Offline Old Gobbler

• Administrator
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 08:35:10 PM »
those counts are way off - you should be able to get 140 more pellets with the identical .685 choke and the same nitro straight #7 - some get over 400 - I think the culprit is your barrel bore

Polish out the forcing cone and barrel until there is no more tooling marks or ripples - or have a barrel guy do it for you -

clean out the bore of the barrel with a solvent and wipe that barrel down with dry patches until it is completely dry
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Offline Hooksnhorns

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 09:49:29 PM »
Thanks for the welcome and replies! I thought the same thing Old Gobbler. I sprayed a (supposedly) good foaming bore cleaner in it and let it set longer than it suggested and ran patches and a bore snake thru it many times. The bore and choke looked like a mirror.i dunno what else to do other than  get it polished and try a more open choke.
Don't Tread On Me

Offline new2turkey

• Saco, Maine
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 09:52:19 PM »
Thanks for the welcome and replies! I thought the same thing Old Gobbler. I sprayed a (supposedly) good foaming bore cleaner in it and let it set longer than it suggested and ran patches and a bore snake thru it many times. The bore and choke looked like a mirror.i dunno what else to do other than  get it polished and try a more open choke.

You can polish it.... There's a step by step process written by VAHUNTER

Here you go!

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,182.0.html

Offline Mag10

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 12:29:11 AM »
I think your patterns are very good. Are they at 40 yards and 10 inch circle? If so I dont know that I would change much. I have a nef 10. I am using a kicks gobblin thunder 680. With win supreme 6 shot I get 170 or better in a 10 inch circle at 40 yards.  My only problem is  winchester quit making 6 shot in that load and with a kicks tube you cannot shoot heavy shot. I have 7 shells left and then back to the testing to get a sore arm again :welcomeOG:

Check this out!!!

http://www.shopdunns.com/products/1302/winchester_10ga_dbl_x_mag_x103xct/