OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Fall Turkey Scenario  (Read 2683 times)

Offline CollinW

Fall Turkey Scenario
« on: August 18, 2017, 09:00:56 AM »
I am fall hunting for the first time ever this year. I have chosen my spots based on years of watching turkey flocks while deer hunting. They are always in the same places at a certain time of day. I plan to sit and wait for them to pass through. I always deer hunt in feeding areas, this years crop is corn. There are sections of woods that I can sit in that are right next to these fields. My question is, if I know that the turkeys are going to show up at some point, is there a purpose of calling? I also wonder should I use decoys? I have 4 decoys; 3 hens and a jake. I really appreciate the help!

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
Re: Fall Turkey Scenario
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 10:31:31 AM »
If my goal was to just kill a turkey then calling would be way down my list of to do's, especially if I had them patterned like you do.  If my goal was to enjoy all the sport has to offer, and killing one is just a bonus, I'd try to scatter the flock and then call some back to the gun.  As far as decoys go, I personally don't see the need in them and wouldn't bother with carrying any. But I know some people use decoys both spring and fall.   One of those to each their own deals.   Good luck which ever way you decide to approach "YOUR" hunt.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 08:46:15 AM »
^^^^^  Yeah,...what the Goobru said....   ;D

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 04:23:51 PM »
 :toothy9:
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 11:36:57 AM »
Each to their own,but for me most of the fun in turkey hunting is calling and being good enough to get a response and the reaction of getting them within gun range. Just the way I like to hunt though and the way I find it satisfying although there are many other ways in filling a tag in the fall. Turkey dogging and calling them back in could definitely get me revved up in a good way...

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 07:13:52 AM »
Often times, finding the birds can be tough. If you have them located, that's way over half the battle. Get into the areas that you know they like to frequent and set up and call and listen for a response. If you call the flock in close enough for a shot, good. If not, look for the opportunity to bust up the flock and call them back.

In big country, when I'm trying to find birds, I generally never stop moving and never stop calling. When I find a bunch of good sign I slow down and listen a lot.

I really can't think of a situation where I wouldn't call (or wouldn't want to call). Even old gobblers are susceptible to a cluck or a yelp once in a while. :icon_thumright:

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 05:47:52 PM »
I can't imagine hunting turkeys without starting or joining in a conversation.
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Offline rifleman

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 08:12:06 AM »
In order to have the most fun, break the flock up making them scatter in all directions (run at them yelling and maybe shooting into the air), set down right where you broke them, wait until you hear one call and begin talking to them (kee kees etc.).  Be aware that some will sneak back without calling but usually they are very vocal, esp. the young birds.  I have broken them at all times of the day but late evening was the most fun because they want to get back together before nightfall.  Love fall hunting.

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 10:14:05 AM »
In order to have the most fun, break the flock up making them scatter in all directions (run at them yelling and maybe shooting into the air), set down right where you broke them, wait until you hear one call and begin talking to them (kee kees etc.).  Be aware that some will sneak back without calling but usually they are very vocal, esp. the young birds.  I have broken them at all times of the day but late evening was the most fun because they want to get back together before nightfall.  Love fall hunting.

Agreed, the above is the most fun when fall hunting.  I know it may seem to defeat the purpose of killing one by busting them up when your close enough to kill one of them but hearing all the young of the year birds wanting to get back with mama is something you need to experience.  The true challenge lies in a busted gang of gobblers, sometimes they never make more than a cluck when reassembling.  Is it October yet?