OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: The cold, hard facts about turkey calls...  (Read 9842 times)

Offline SteelerFan

• Double Beard
The cold, hard facts about turkey calls...
« on: May 26, 2017, 11:56:04 AM »
For those just starting out, or in their beginning years - and as the seasons are winding down and you find yourself questioning your choice of calls - I'll offer up this advice...

There is NO SUCH THING as THE BEST call. There are a lot of GREAT calls, for sure, but not one of them possesses any "mystical powers" that work all the time.

When you decide to start buying calls - stick to basic principles like sound quality, craftsmanship, maker reputation, play-ability, an what looks good to you. If you can't competently run a call, buying a high dollar call or a highly sought after brand "X" call won't fix that. Remember... a great caller can make a mediocre call sound great. A mediocre caller can make a great call sound, well... mediocre. That said, using a call that has the potential to be great is always best.

If you are just learning to play a certain type of call, having one that has that potential is much easier to master. You only have to worry about how you play it, vs. how to get the most out of it. This is where it is convenient to buy a call "off the table" - where the builder can demonstrate what the call is supposed to sound like. Sound files or videos of the call you are buying will also work. Once you are comfortable or confident with your favorite call maker(s), you can start buying calls sight unseen - knowing it's going to be a good one. (This is also where a trusted reputation from others can be relied on to buy a call)

Every year you will hear or read about "the best call I've ever had". Some will profess that calls are magic and birds died only because they were using call "X", made by "so-and-so". We say that because we believe it - at the moment. And, we like to tell the story. Kinda like fishermen. (come to think of it, most of us fish too!) Nobody takes the time to brag about their favorite "super-call" that they hunted on whatever certain day, when they got no response. At all. Nothing. Or the bird that shut up and went the other way. But guess what? That happens! And, more often than we care to admit. If not, all of our seasons would last only as long as we had unfilled tag(s). 2 tags plus the PERFECT call = 2 days hunting - right? Ha!

To borrow a phrase from a forum friend, some of the birds that fall to our "magical" calls could have been called in with a rusty gate hinge - but we like to give credit to the call anyway.

There are lots of junk calls out there, but there are also lots and lots of quality calls that are "full of turkey". You can only stuff so many feathers into any one call. It can only sound like a real turkey, at the very best. Just keep that in mind.

If you become "addicted" (like most of us), you'll want as many "real turkeys" in your arsenal as you can afford. Preferably, each with a slightly different tone or sound. Great calls are fun to play.

Don't chase unicorns, they don't exist. Neither does the "BEST". I write this just as advice to those that may be tempted into spending hundreds or thousands of dollars trying to buy what isn't there. Buy calls based on what you think you can do with them, not what you think they can do for you.

Disclaimer: The views expressed in this post are those of the author (me), and not all will agree - but most will, if they are honest.  ;)

**and if anyone really does have the "unicorn" of turkey calls... hit me up with a PM!  :TooFunny:

« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 12:25:46 PM by SteelerFan »

Offline nsselle

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: The cold, hard facts about turkey calls...
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 12:19:51 PM »
Nice read. Thanks

Offline rifleman

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 01:24:40 PM »
Good post.  i have always felt the same way about decoys and camo.  I have talked to old-timers who say they killed them with 2 3/4" inch lead 6's wearing blue jeans and black trash bags as decoys.  Sure get what you can but don't obsess.

Offline daddyduke

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 05:01:23 PM »
Very well stated!
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

Offline saverx

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 05:11:09 PM »
So your saying my search for the perfect yelp for the last 30 years has been in vain???...Crap! The search continues..  Good post.

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 06:01:42 PM »
A $15 call in the right hands will call in turkeys. A $100 call on the wrong hands wont.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline Ihuntoldschool

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 07:50:48 PM »
Yes, that is 100% accurate.    But if you want to spend your money on a $100 custom call, go right ahead.  Don't expect it to be your saving grace or have any bearing on your success in calling in turkeys.  Makes more sense to practice on the $15 call until you develop more proficiency.

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 09:09:06 PM »
Get a good call. With plenty of practice you can get playing it to its potential .
If you end up with a junk call , you will only get so good of results.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2017, 12:43:50 PM »
Agree, spend your money on good calls, like custom made ones..cheap production calls will kill turkeys also, but you get why you pay for... the sound of a good custom call will make all the difference in your calling ability ....Practice Practice Practice....

Offline boatpaddle

• Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2017, 04:27:16 PM »
There isn't any magic pixie dust in the turkey call world...

Some folks get wrapped up in the lastest & greatest call to hit the streets....

Some think, if they spend lots of money on a certain call, it's a better call...

Supply & demand in our world, don't mean a thing to the fella's with red heads...

The basis idea turkey calls are built, is to call in turkeys......It really doesn't matter how good, you & I think, they sound...The turkeys will answer that question for you in the woods....

It's much better for a newer hunter to use one call & be very good with it, rather then how ever many, ya think, ya need and not be proficient with any of them....

Just my 2cents.....
Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

Offline The Woodsman

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2017, 05:01:04 PM »
Something else to have in your head is what a turkey actually should sound like. If you don't have that and your "proficient" practice matches it, well you are wasting your time...

Denny

Offline boatpaddle

• Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2017, 05:03:21 PM »
Well said, Denny...

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

Offline HFultzjr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2017, 08:28:05 PM »
Very well stated SteelerFan!
2 things I have learned:
You can't call in a gobbler that isn't there.
If a gobbler really doesn't want to play....he isn't going to play.

Offline Grey Owl

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2017, 02:39:08 PM »
Enjoyed that read.

Offline TRG3

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2017, 12:27:33 PM »
Like many of you, I have a couple of Walmart sacks full of box and slate calls as well as other gimmicks I've picked up along the turkey hunting way. Having said that, over the past 30 years I've learned, as was noted in a previous post, if the gobbler isn't there, you can't call him in; therefore, some good woodsmanship to put you where the turkeys are located is the first thing that must happen. Once that's been established, then you've got to convince him that there really is something over there worth seeing, whether it's a hen looking to breed or another gobbler challenging the peck order status or both. Some can do that just with good calling while others may need the help of some decoys to go along with the calling. Personally, I've just finished my 9th year with the same mouth calls and plan to retire them after next spring's season. Some may think that's being way too frugal, but they still sound realistic and even added some raspy quality. (Over the years, I've heard a wide range of real hen vocalizations and often they are not as "good" as the audio from which I learned!) These old diaphragm calls helped account for two gobblers during the 2017 Southern Illinois spring season. In addition, I often set out a gobbler decoy as well as a couple of hen decoy. I've had toms come rushing in to my Pretty Boy as well as the Funky Chicken gobbler decoy, but I've also had them intimidated by both of these regardless of it being early or late season, exhibiting that a turkey will do what a turkey wants to do! His past experience with other turkeys has programmed him to react to what he thinks are some other "real" turkeys and it very well be to just keep his distance. Patience and perseverance are two characteristics of successful turkey hunters, meaning that if necessary they stay in the woods rather than head back to the truck by 8 a.m. and they are willing to try different techniques to be successful. That pretty well sums up my advice after 30 years of turkey hunting, but I feel safe in saying that I'll learn something new next year.