OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Binoculars  (Read 6176 times)

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
Re: Binoculars
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2017, 08:50:58 AM »
It looks to me like you probably do not need really expensive binoculars for what you are planning on using them for.  You can probably find something in the $75-$150 range that would work just fine.  From what I have seen, Bushnell makes a pretty reliable, functional, and inexpensive product for the kind of use you are talking about. 

Avoid the off-brand, cheapo stuff for sure.  It is not that they won't look like they will work when you look through them at the store, the problem will be that, unless you absolutely "baby" them all the time, they will get knocked out of alignment very easily.  Check any possible purchase by doing this:  Hold the binos in both hands, look through them at some distant object, and then twist your hands in opposite directions (push up with one hand and pull down with the other).  If the image doubles or is otherwise distorted easily, and especially if they do not return to a single, clear image when you release the pressure, pass them up. 

Offline qbaker

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2017, 11:55:54 AM »
Thank you very much! Finally, someone who can actual articulate the "why's" of one pair of bino's in terms of cost, brand and quality over another. Your information is very helpful. I appreciate your insights on "alignment". Thank you for your feedback.

Offline Forked lighting

Binoculars
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2017, 10:57:59 AM »
I use high dllar ones for deer hunting came acoss a cheap pair of simmons 8×25 small but used them this season an well pleased got tired of lugging 8×42 ,s around

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Offline bamahunter

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2017, 06:05:37 PM »
I see this is an older post and I didn't read all the replies but Bushnell has a great deal going right now, 25% back on all optics purchases if you but it by June 5 or 6th. Cabelas even had a sale going on that overlapped with this rebate and that might get you into the ballpark of 50-60% regular prices... anyway, if you already made a decision, maybe this will help someone else out.

Offline VaTuRkStOmPeR

• Longbeard
Binoculars
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2017, 07:35:39 PM »
Zeiss Terra ED 10x42s
On sale in a lot of places for less than $400.

Optics are critical. Buy a decent set at the minimum

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2017, 10:03:31 PM »
Zeiss Terra ED 10x42s
On sale in a lot of places for less than $400.

Optics are critical. Buy a decent set at the minimum

Just so we understand these may carry a "Zeiss" name they are not truly Zeiss Binoculars...

Where are They Made?
"Designed by Zeiss" is written on the focus wheel of the Zeiss Terra ED. "China" is stamped into the body material beside the serial number and next to the underside of the hinge.

To get a pair of Zeiss under $1000 you are going to have to cut, materials, workmanship and such... to price out at less than $400.

Not to say but these are still a lot better than most binoculars at this price point.

MK M GOBL

Offline VaTuRkStOmPeR

• Longbeard
Binoculars
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2017, 10:30:49 PM »
Make m gobl, you're right.  They are made in China but do have high quality components such as Schotte glass.  I understand supply chains and also understand labor costs associated with production.  Most Zeiss products are manufactured and assembled in Austria I believe.  It saves Zeiss money and ultimately costs the consumer less to manufacture the Terra's in China.  Assuming an optic manufactured in China isn't capable of high end performance is flawed.

I have Swarovski SLC 10x42s, Leupold gold ring 10x28s and I'm no stranger to high end glass, however, for $400 bucks, the Zeiss Terra's are a hell of an optic and outperform a lot of the competitors in that price range.

I've hunted them over 80 days the last 2 springs from east to west and north to south.  I have no problems throwing serious cash at good gear and would've sold them for another alternative if I'd had any performance issues.  They are not equivalent to the Zeiss Victory, Swarovski SLCs or Swarovski ELs but they're a damn fine optic for the price point and provide the kind of performance I need for glassing turkeys  at distances ranging from sub 100 yards out to 800 yards in varying light conditions without worrying about having a $2000 dollar optic on my bino harness when I'm belly crawling on a bird.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 11:42:17 PM by VaTuRkStOmPeR »

Offline dannyrob14

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2017, 08:19:53 AM »
The bone collector bushnells are very legit for the money. You can snag a set with the harness for less than $100 off Amazon during different times of the year. They are best bang for the buck. 10x40

Offline Cut N Run

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • North Carolina
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2017, 09:56:56 PM »
I use Leupold gold ring 10x28 that have worked great for 20+ years. I'd want more glass if I hunted out west, though the areas I hunt, they're hard to beat. The optics are clear and the compact size fits easily in my vest.  I haven't needed to use the lifetime guarantee, but it is nice to know it's there.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline Smeds

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2017, 12:00:48 PM »
I've repeatedly gone fairly cheap for binos, and have usually been disappointed ... if not right away it was down the road when they started to fog, degrade.  This year I finally popped for a decent pair:  Carson 3D 10x42 with ED glass in Mossy Oak (specifically Model #: TD-042EDMO).  I paid $299.99 online.  Couldn't be happier with them ... really bright at low light, crisp image.  Came with a chest harness as well.  Just my $0.02.

I don't mind my wife having the last word ... in fact I'm usually delighted when she gets to it.

Offline Forked lighting

Binoculars
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2017, 11:58:58 AM »
I carry 8×42 ,s deer hunting for the light gathering early and late but turkey hunting i carry a compact pair of 8× 32 ,s fit good in my vest,
lite an really dont use until good light conditions

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk