OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Poachers  (Read 5780 times)

Offline greencop01

• Longbeard
Re: Poachers
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2017, 07:47:41 PM »
Poachers are nothing but thieves, and should be treated as such. If you don't pay attention you can get shot by them. They are lazy, unsafe, good for nothing lowlifes and now let me tell you how I really feel.......... :angry9:
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

Online quavers59

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2017, 01:02:10 PM »
greencop01 said it best!  Back in the 1990s is when I saw and heard the most wild turkey poachers in Sterling Forest,NY. This all happened in the month of April before the May 1st NY Spring opener.  I would be out scouting and hear a magnum shot in this direction - then another in that direction- but further off.  Since the 1990s- poaching has fallen off, I think because alot of hunters are now out scouting in April.
    I remember one morning in the month of FEB in the 1990s-- there was about 1" of snow down-- perfect for a morning of wild turkey scouting and hopefully to see a bunch of 4" gobbler tracks.   I did see see turkey tracks--everywhere. I rounded a bend in the old woods road and 2 guys were right there. Looking for rabbits- one of them said. I took a quick look at a scoped rifle- just a quick look- while the 3 of us are standing in wild turkey footprints.  They moved around that bend going the other way and speeded up their walking. Think they were more nervous then me! Glad, I don't hear magnum shots anymore in April or encounter would be turkey poachers anymore. Be back next Fri..

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2017, 02:46:46 PM »
I am loath to be criticle of another's hunting methods.
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Offline Hersh

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2017, 03:02:27 PM »
I am loath to be criticle of another's hunting methods.

I understand that, until it's actually illegal. And I think that shooting from the road would qualify. Ryan