OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Poachers  (Read 5781 times)

Offline Frylock

Re: Poachers
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2017, 12:28:53 PM »
 :agreed:
I did. One ended up confessing.

Nice job!  Hopefully this will get him to change his behavior.

Offline nativeks

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2017, 03:57:14 PM »
It unnerved me quite a bit. My 4 yr old son loves to turkey hunt and I have felt safe on my own property but not anymore. I actually ended up following them around while the warden debated whether he could make a traffic stop.

I live on a dead end road and know all the landowners. They said they were happy we built a house as it might curtail the poaching. I dont know what it was like before but...

Offline nosaj

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2017, 06:48:33 PM »
Good Job!   :smiley-char092:

Offline quavers59

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2017, 11:06:52 AM »
Glad you got his plate #! Hopefully you wont have any more poaching problems.

Offline wvspitndrum

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2017, 01:34:51 PM »
Had a close call a few weeks ago. I was hunting my property and knew the birds were across the road north headed my way. I had decoys out. I wasn't far off the road since that is where the turkeys had been the last 2 days. Vehicle drives by and locks up the brakes then creeps by. I moved closer to see what would happen and used a larger tree as a shield. It goes and turns around. They then come back and stop. Guy gets out with his gun fully camo'd up. I am 20 yards away and say you got permission. He jumps back in and they take off. Then they were dumb enough to go back by so I could get a license plate.
Fast forward to that afternoon. Same vehicle comes back and shoots a turkey from the road.

2nd group of Arkansas poachers I have dealt with in 2 years.

Funny you mentioned Arkansas. I used to guide in Kansas and every poacher and tresspasser we caught was from Arkansas or Louisiana
You would get some from Wv also. Ceptin all their wheels are under their house.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk
Not cool , happy ! Just saying  :z-twocents:

Online Happy

• Limbhanger
Poachers
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2017, 02:04:45 PM »
I was born and raised there. I love the state but I also like to joke. A sense of humor can go along ways. Sorry if it offended anyone from Wv. That wasn't my intent.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline wvspitndrum

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2017, 03:44:31 PM »
I was born and raised there. I love the state but I also like to joke. A sense of humor can go along ways. Sorry if it offended anyone from Wv. That wasn't my intent.

Its all good buddy !

Offline Cottonmouth

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2017, 05:41:41 PM »
I don't get it... I really can't wrap my head around it

few pounds of Wild Turkey meat isn't even worth the gas spent driving around to shoot one. Its all about the experience
They do it so they can brag to their buddies and better yet, post a thousand pics on FB and other social media sites showcasing their ability to kill at all cost. It's a damn shame, but that recognition from others is what drives A LOT of them to do chit like this.
Pretty much sums it up. Got to tell their buddies they got one. I told a game warden the other day that every state should have a turkey farm so guys like that can just walk up and blast 3 so they can limit out and stay out of the woods. Even give em a trophy and some window stickers.

Offline Ishi

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2017, 05:55:44 PM »
I did. One ended up confessing.
Good for you!! I have and will do it every chance I get. No love for DBs
The Spirit Lives On

Offline magicman

• East Tennessee
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2017, 03:03:29 PM »
I don't get it... I really can't wrap my head around it

few pounds of Wild Turkey meat isn't even worth the gas spent driving around to shoot one. Its all about the experience
They do it so they can brag to their buddies and better yet, post a thousand pics on FB and other social media sites showcasing their ability to kill at all cost. It's a damn shame, but that recognition from others is what drives A LOT of them to do chit like this.

I've dealt with a neighbor feeding turkeys corn all season for years. They only hunt it twice a year...opening morning and the second to last weekend for some reason. They only hunt for 30 minutes a year and it makes us work our tails off just to shoot one. Makes me so mad :angry9:. The law is watching and building a case though.

Offline Bowhuntr73

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • "Conflict is the only Solution"
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2017, 04:15:54 PM »
The "hunters", as they call themselves, seem to never stop amazing me. I really find it quite amuzing how these folks will brag about the greatest calls, weapons known to the modern world and comes to find out they will let pressure to be the center of attention override their integrity. If any competitive format accepts this as a norm than our sport is doomed. I am really concerned when pics of these "hunters" include their children showing their illegal harvests. Awesome message to convey.  Strong believer in sooner or later it all comes around and you will be served a big helping of JUSTICE.

Offline Farmboy27

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2017, 08:54:24 PM »
Definitely sucks!  I'd say around here a good 10-15% of the turkeys are shot in a manner that is illegal or at least "in the grey area". Bad part is, around here lots of land owners (that allow hunting) could care less. Last year I stopped to talk to a fellow that owns a farm close to mine. He asked how I made out with the turkeys. He said "you just weren't driving by at the right time. ____ got 2 on here without ever getting out of the truck!"  He laughed and said "boy, I thought you were smart enough to get things done the easy way".

Offline mspaci

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2017, 09:43:59 AM »
I don't get it. Hey I hunted hard yesterday, had multiple encounters & didn't get to shoot. Get in the car go down road about 10:30 headed to the other side of property & wouldn't you know right down the road from the farm is a Tom & a hen 50 yards from the road. I just watched them & wouldn't think about shooting him there, but I bet others would, I just don't get it, you get no satisfaction doing something like that.  Mike

Offline Sevenyearsandcounting

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2017, 07:15:43 PM »
Not sure how guys have the nerve to do these things? Even when I have permission i still worry about getting in a landowners way or being courteous to other hunters. Maybe that's why it took so long to get a bird?

When you put the bird above the hunt bad things happen. Just shooting a turkey cannot be the only reason you're in the woods. It's scary what I've seen some people do for trophy deer.

We just busted a pair of guys on our favorite spot and found out they were hunting our own small tiny piece of land too I couldn't believe it. Too bad they left a monster trio of long beards there. Maybe if they weren't so busy sneaking on land and got permission they could've got one too.

Offline nativeks

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2017, 06:50:35 PM »
State warden stopped by. The ended up charging one guy and he plead guilty.$608 fine plus court costs. In exchange for the guilty plea they took off a couple other charges.

Warden said he was 2 weeks out of the academy when this went down and was his first case. Knowing what he knows now he would've stopped them right away and he said could've made a better case and more charges to stick.