OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Poachers  (Read 5803 times)

Offline nativeks

• The Boss Gobbler
Poachers
« on: May 26, 2017, 05:21:25 AM »
Had a close call a few weeks ago. I was hunting my property and knew the birds were across the road north headed my way. I had decoys out. I wasn't far off the road since that is where the turkeys had been the last 2 days. Vehicle drives by and locks up the brakes then creeps by. I moved closer to see what would happen and used a larger tree as a shield. It goes and turns around. They then come back and stop. Guy gets out with his gun fully camo'd up. I am 20 yards away and say you got permission. He jumps back in and they take off. Then they were dumb enough to go back by so I could get a license plate.
Fast forward to that afternoon. Same vehicle comes back and shoots a turkey from the road.

2nd group of Arkansas poachers I have dealt with in 2 years.

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Poachers
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 05:42:38 AM »
Just the worst kind of people.

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
Poachers
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 06:07:20 AM »
Call it in. Hopefully something will be found and charges will stick.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Offline nativeks

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 06:35:17 AM »
I did. One ended up confessing.

Online Happy

• Limbhanger
Poachers
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 06:45:17 AM »
Growing up where I did it's a way of life for many. I am grateful I was taught better. The older I get the less tolerant I am of such behavior. All a poacher is is selfish and lazy. Someone who cares about nothing other than getting what they want at all costs. As hunters we need to hold ourselves others to a higher standard.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline longbeard11

• The Boss Gobbler
    • Grunt, Gobble, & Gills Outdoors
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 08:35:29 AM »
Ahhh man! That sucks! Nothing worse than that!

We were set up on a big flock here in WV first day calling them across a big field. Once they worked by us and over the rise a guy in shorts and a t shirt pops up from our left and throws his gun up to shoot our decoy which was right in front of us. We waved him off and he took off back the other way, just glad we got his attention, and I'm real glad we didn't have a strutter decoy in front of us!

Offline spaightlabs

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 08:51:32 AM »
Can't count the number of times we've been driving down dirt roads in KS and NE and come around a corner or over a hill and found someone parked and across a fence on posted land or grabbing a shot bird out of the ditch.

Found the same pair of CO guys in KS 3 times last year while pheasant hunting - they were always 'looking for a cripple'...stopped and let the landowner know and he tracked them down with the sheriff and gave them a little KS souvenir.

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 09:14:20 AM »
I am so glad that my folks taught me better.  I aint snow white but I couldn't even go into the neighbors yard without permission when I was a chap.  Amazingly I know folks that look at me funny and condescendingly say...."Why you unloading your gun?  Mine stays loaded all the time."  My dumbfounded response..."Uhhh cause its the safe thing to do and not to mention it's the law?" :z-dizzy:

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 10:36:12 AM »
That's not way to kill a turkey in my opinion .... sorry person for sure... some people just don't care how they kill one ..these kind of people in my book are not turkey hunters...

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2017, 10:58:07 AM »
I don't get it... I really can't wrap my head around it

few pounds of Wild Turkey meat isn't even worth the gas spent driving around to shoot one. Its all about the experience
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline snapper1982

• Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2017, 11:08:24 AM »
Had a close call a few weeks ago. I was hunting my property and knew the birds were across the road north headed my way. I had decoys out. I wasn't far off the road since that is where the turkeys had been the last 2 days. Vehicle drives by and locks up the brakes then creeps by. I moved closer to see what would happen and used a larger tree as a shield. It goes and turns around. They then come back and stop. Guy gets out with his gun fully camo'd up. I am 20 yards away and say you got permission. He jumps back in and they take off. Then they were dumb enough to go back by so I could get a license plate.
Fast forward to that afternoon. Same vehicle comes back and shoots a turkey from the road.

Funny you mentioned Arkansas. I used to guide in Kansas and every poacher and tresspasser we caught was from Arkansas or Louisiana 

Online Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2017, 11:15:38 AM »

Funny you mentioned Arkansas. I used to guide in Kansas and every poacher and tresspasser we caught was from Arkansas or Louisiana
You would get some from Wv also. Ceptin all their wheels are under their house.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline Ozarks Hillbilly

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2017, 11:20:52 AM »
 I think most instances it's a learned trait. Like we where taught to respect other people and their possessions along with the animals and game laws. Sadly I think they where not.  :z-twocents:

Offline Andy S.

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2017, 11:59:23 AM »

few pounds of Wild Turkey meat isn't even worth the gas spent driving around to shoot one. Its all about the experience
They do it so they can brag to their buddies and better yet, post a thousand pics on FB and other social media sites showcasing their ability to kill at all cost. It's a damn shame, but that recognition from others is what drives A LOT of them to do chit like this.
Andy S.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2017, 12:13:44 PM »

They do it so they can brag to their buddies and better yet, post a thousand pics on FB and other social media sites showcasing their ability to kill at all cost. It's a damn shame, but that recognition from others is what drives A LOT of them to do chit like this.
you got it exactly right...validation...got to be the killer everyone thinks that they are