OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Turkey Shotgun Help ?!?  (Read 4167 times)

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
Re: Turkey Shotgun Help ?!?
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2017, 04:56:47 AM »
Just remember to have a dedicated turkey gun that you will shoot maybe 4 times during a season you don't have to have a 1000-2000 dollars gun...build you a 20 gauge shooter from a youth 870 ... you want be sorry at all...and you can thank me later....you want carry a 12 gauge again turkey hunting...
x2 I remember seeing my son's pattern for the first time and it made me a believer...this is coming from someone that had to shoot 3 1/2 shells all the time years ago....

Offline howl

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2017, 08:08:57 AM »
I suggest a 20 gauge and Federal heavyweight #7s with a choke made for that shell. The actual gun should not weigh much more than six pounds. I prefer an aluminum frame O/U, but everyone likes something different. Weatherby sells a semi-auto turkey special that seems to be popular. The specific gun comes down to personal preference.

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2017, 10:00:37 PM »
Just remember to have a dedicated turkey gun that you will shoot maybe 4 times during a season you don't have to have a 1000-2000 dollars gun...build you a 20 gauge shooter from a youth 870 ... you want be sorry at all...and you can thank me later....you want carry a 12 gauge again turkey hunting...
x2 I remember seeing my son's pattern for the first time and it made me a believer...this is coming from someone that had to shoot 3 1/2 shells all the time years ago....
You are not alone there, the only thing is it gets harder to BARROW the kids turkey gun. Even trying to let them use Dads 12 big gun now they are big enough , he won't fall for that.
So went and got some 20's for myself .Aint life rough! Definitely don't miss the 3 1/2 field artillery .

Offline Longshanks

• Longbeard
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2017, 08:36:23 AM »
I saw a brand new 870 express 12 or 20 guage at Wal-mart yesterday for $289.00. Buying one of those and then build the way you want it is what I would do. For that price I may buy a 12 with a 26" bbl my boys can drag through the mud and use for anything. We have a 20g 870 turkey gun camo and with the turkey choke that comes with the gun it shoots great patterns to 40yds with Fed HW 7's. It was as easy as just putting a shell in the gun. I've heard TSS will shoot great through this stock set up but haven't tried.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 10:07:01 AM by Longshanks »

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2017, 07:48:01 AM »
Mossberg 835.  IMO (and many more on this site), this gun is the best patterning gun available.  There are many chokes available and this gun shoots all loads well.  I bought mine at Wally world about 10 years ago and she has put many turkeys on the ground since with NO issues.  Pickup and shoulder as many as you can and see what fits and feels good to you.  Good luck with whatever you decide.

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2017, 12:04:44 PM »
 I would just get a gun you really like. With all the chokes and ammo choices we have now you can get pretty much any gun to put up acceptable patterns for hunting out to 40 yards. I would definitely get one already drilled and tapped for an optic though, if possible, and probably go with a 24" or so barrel. We are really enjoying the salad days of firearms, tons of great choices on the market now, and it sure does make it hard to choose!

Offline greencop01

• Longbeard
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2017, 02:04:19 PM »
Just an aside, since 1950 12,000,000 870's sold. I think that is a proven track record over time.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!