OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Halloran Calls - what's the difference?  (Read 16716 times)

Offline 76chevy

Re: Halloran Calls - what's the difference?
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2021, 07:17:45 AM »
The quality and consistency sets them apart IMO.

I love the sound of them too.

Offline Layne

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2021, 10:37:01 PM »
man you been reading back in the archives... lot of good stuff.

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2021, 07:41:47 AM »
How can I go about purchasing a David hollaran call?
From his website. www.davidhalloranturkeycalls.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Missouri hunter

• Sterling Custom Calls
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2021, 10:36:42 AM »
Since joining this forum I've been reading & reading new and old posts. The one name in pot calls that comes up over and over again is David Halloran. Almost every "list" or "killer" type post will have multiple posts praising his Crystal Mistress &/or Twisted Sister calls.

Obviously, there are a lot of quality call makers but can somebody tell me what difference you see in Halloran pots that causes them to be so successfully used? Does he have a special design? Craftsmanship?

Thank you.

He makes great calls and his prices although a little higher now are still pretty good for the quality. I know this is about the pot calls but his Purple Heart and cedar box is the single best call I have. His old cherry and Purple Heart double glass is one I also love to hunt. I think I have 3 of his pots, 3 short boxes and one long box. They all sounds very good. Get one and I’m sure you won’t regret it. I also hunt Dustin Jones, Lonzo and some by a local guy that’s turning some of the best calls I’ve played.
Sterling Custom Calls, making handcrafted box and trough calls.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2021, 11:52:45 AM »
I will give credit, David calls are pretty good but i like other custom call builders pots and boxes a lot better. I do own a few of David calls, the ones i feel are the better ones of his boxes and pots. Reason a lot people buy his calls is because he has website and it's pretty easy to buy his calls and have them within few days and most all will kill turkeys. Nothing wrong with his calls.

Offline Meleagris gallopavo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • I struggle, but still succeed...
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2021, 07:18:48 AM »
Halloran’s Crystal Mistress is the only pot I have that would be considered a production call.  It’s really good and I’m glad I have it.  If I hear enough good things from certain people about a call,  be it production or custom made, I’ll try it out.  I hear his strikers are really good too as well as some of his diaphragm calls.

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Online Sixes

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2021, 06:40:06 PM »
His slates and ceramic are also top notch.

His bloodwood and ipe strikers are good ones too

Offline Crghss

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2021, 10:01:40 PM »
I have quit a few pots with different materials and call makers.

But Halloran’s Crystal Mistress is always in my vest!
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Online WV Ridge Reaper

• Longbeard
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2021, 11:11:28 PM »
Halloran’s Crystal Mistress is the only pot I have that would be considered a production call.  It’s really good and I’m glad I have it.  If I hear enough good things from certain people about a call,  be it production or custom made, I’ll try it out.  I hear his strikers are really good too as well as some of his diaphragm calls.

Curious as to why you say his CM is a production call ?

Offline Meleagris gallopavo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • I struggle, but still succeed...
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2021, 07:23:51 AM »

I honestly thought that he didn’t make all the calls himself.  When you questioned me I went to his website and found out otherwise.  His calls are custom made.

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2021, 08:56:08 AM »
I consider them borderline production calls in that they come off a CNC machine. That’s not knocking them. That’s saying that’s the only way he can keep up with demand. The only box I hunt is a Halloran. For the most part the only crystal I hunt is a Halloran. I love his calls. But there’s a big difference between turning individually on a lathe and pressing a button. What you get out of the CNC though is much higher consistency and much higher production. Regardless, custom vs. production is just semantics; his dimensions are dialed and I’ve liked everything I’ve ever gotten from him.

Offline Layne

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2021, 08:24:42 AM »

I honestly thought that he didn’t make all the calls himself.  When you questioned me I went to his website and found out otherwise.  His calls are custom made.

Custom can mean different things to different people... If you cut them on a CNC machine then you personally glue them up is that custom?
It really should only matter to collectors that just like truly hand turned calls, other than that if it sounds good then get one... I have two of his calls and I like them both.

Offline HookedonHooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • You gotta keep on keepin' on.
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2021, 08:42:08 AM »
I consider them borderline production calls in that they come off a CNC machine. That’s not knocking them. That’s saying that’s the only way he can keep up with demand. The only box I hunt is a Halloran. For the most part the only crystal I hunt is a Halloran. I love his calls. But there’s a big difference between turning individually on a lathe and pressing a button. What you get out of the CNC though is much higher consistency and much higher production. Regardless, custom vs. production is just semantics; his dimensions are dialed and I’ve liked everything I’ve ever gotten from him.
Not even borderline production calls, at this point that is in fact what David's calls are. Like you are saying though, that doesn't mean his calls are bad, he has the dimensions plugged into his CNC that will get him consistently "good enough" calls, because he found hear dimensions through his years on the lathe.

The OP was eluding to it, but it was never answered, people talk about "looking for old Halloran's" vs. new ones, when David was still stamping the back of the calls, they were hand turned on a lathe and tuned individually. The quality/sound of the older calls as long as they were stored over the years correctly will be better than his newer calls with certainty.

Of the better call makers out there, it's often their earlier calls aren't as good as what you would currently order from them, because they developed their sound over the years and continued to improve. David on the other hand digressed and went the route of keeping up with demand rather than quality. Again, not saying his calls are bad, just definitely not the best, and that directly correlates to them being production calls.

Offline TalknTurkey

Halloran Calls - what's the difference?
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2021, 09:18:37 AM »
Not even borderline production calls, at this point that is in fact what David's calls are. Like you are saying though, that doesn't mean his calls are bad, he has the dimensions plugged into his CNC that will get him consistently "good enough" calls, because he found hear dimensions through his years on the lathe.

The OP was eluding to it, but it was never answered, people talk about "looking for old Halloran's" vs. new ones, when David was still stamping the back of the calls, they were hand turned on a lathe and tuned individually. The quality/sound of the older calls as long as they were stored over the years correctly will be better than his newer calls with certainty.

Of the better call makers out there, it's often their earlier calls aren't as good as what you would currently order from them, because they developed their sound over the years and continued to improve. David on the other hand digressed and went the route of keeping up with demand rather than quality. Again, not saying his calls are bad, just definitely not the best, and that directly correlates to them being production calls.
Anyone happen to know when he switched to the cnc? I have two twisted sisters that I bought from him in 2013. They aren’t stamped on the back, but they also aren’t signed like most of his calls. However, I also bought a short box from him at the same time and he did sign it, so maybe he just missed signing the pots. But come to think of it, I’ve never seen a stamped TS so perhaps they were always made with a cnc. They sound awesome and I’ve had one in the vest every season since, I was just curious.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 10:26:49 AM by TalknTurkey »

Offline macobb

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2021, 10:53:38 AM »
I run the Twisted Sister with his one piece strikers. It just has a ring to it that sounds realistic. That being said there is no magic call just personal preference
Always wondering wether or not to give a cluck