OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: which gun choice for tss?  (Read 6299 times)

Online kwild835

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: which gun choice for tss?
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2017, 08:21:30 AM »
I'd be Leary to run it in a 1500 dollar gun. The shot makes the gun not the other way around.
Just curious why you would be leary? I do want to try it but one of my dedicated turkey guns is expensive so I'd rather not damage anything.
It will not damage anything, I believe he was saying it doesn't take an expensive gun to shoot well.
A lot of guys run cheap guns and spend their money on the tss. 

Online kwild835

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2017, 08:25:30 AM »
I thought about doing that  I have a 935 also would you guys try 8 or 9 shot I will be ordering from apex ...tss is a new animal to me
The 935 and Maxus will both shoot TSS lights out.  Most guys run 9's in TSS and it is very lethal as far as anyone should shoot turkeys and will give you better pattern density than 8's.  I would skip Apex and learn to roll them yourself, then you will have unlimited options and you won't have to depend on those guys to build your shells.  Also, it will be much cheaper in the long haul.

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2017, 08:35:15 AM »
I'd be Leary to run it in a 1500 dollar gun. The shot makes the gun not the other way around.
Just curious why you would be leary? I do want to try it but one of my dedicated turkey guns is expensive so I'd rather not damage anything.

I have had it scar choke tubes.

Online kwild835

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2017, 08:53:37 AM »

I have had it scar choke tubes.
I stand corrected.  I know any HTL shot can scratch choke tubes, never saw it affect performance.  I have shot it many pounds of the stuff and have never saw any damage to any gun.  This includes 2 SX3's, 3 Benelli M2's, 2 Browning A5's, 4 Browning Gold's, 2 835's, 3 870's, and 2 Maxus. 

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2017, 09:44:01 AM »
The performance wasn't effected at all.. It would just worry me if I scared the barrel of an expensive gun. None of my barrels show any ill effects at all. Probably nothing to worry about, just my feelings.

Offline lunghit

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2017, 09:48:43 AM »
Yes I have heard it can scar up a choke but never heard of any actual gun damage. I plan on trying a box or two but still have a bunch of Hevi-13 that has been doing a great job.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

Offline BandedSpur

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2017, 10:04:52 AM »
It will shoot great out of anything. If I were going to buy a gun, it would be a lightweight 20 ga, which is waaaay more than adequate. If I wasn't going to buy a gun, I would not hesitate to shoot it through any gun you would be willing to shoot HS through. TSS loads, at least the ones I design and shoot, offer superior barrel protection and much lower pressures than any HS loads. I have shot hundreds of rounds through a $2,000 Beretta O/U with no ill effects whatsoever.

Offline potter

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2017, 07:29:19 PM »
Why is it a lower pressure? Being heavier I would think u need more pressure to get the same fps,

Offline BandedSpur

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2017, 07:58:07 AM »
Why is it a lower pressure? Being heavier I would think u need more pressure to get the same fps,

It's not heavier, it is denser. What that means is that for a given weight of shot, the shot column will be shorter. So if we compare a 3" 12 ga 2 oz HS load vs a 2 oz TSS load, the HS will completely fill the wad with no room for any cushion whatsoever. The TSS load on the other hand will leave room in that same wad for 5/8" of cushion under the shot. That cushion lowers pressures substantially. The lowest pressure I can get in a 2 oz HS load with the slowest powder available yields 14,000 psi. The 2 oz TSS load comes in at 9800 psi.