OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Flying with a gun.... I'm concerned.  (Read 6996 times)

Offline turkeyfeathers

Re: Flying with a gun.... I'm concerned.
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2017, 07:28:23 PM »
Good info here. Live in NY but going to New Orleans ,LA in a few months . My Utah non resident CCW permit covers LA so I plan on taking something out of the safe with me. I'm still a little nervous about checking it in and it getting 'lost" but you guys have established some relief. It's not a direct flight so that's a little concerning

Offline neal

• Double Beard
  • Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff and striker builder
Flying with a gun.... I'm concerned.
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2017, 08:53:01 PM »
Very easy and I wouldn't be worried at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

Offline TheSportsman

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2017, 10:10:36 PM »
Thanks guys. Y'all have put my mind at ease.

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2017, 02:13:28 PM »
Your cell number on the case is a must-Pelican will sell you a custom made label or you can order them on Ebay.  they slip right in to the case and you can't remove them unless the case is opened.  As Raps said, only you should have the keys to the lock.  TSA locks allow anyone with a TSA to open the case and that is not what the law says.  they may let you fly, but it is not correct. I only want it opened in my presence.

One thing I would add, is the Pelican has two lock holes that are reinforced with metal, but the center two are not.  TSA had a memo last year to put emphasis on being unable to even slip a hand into a gun case and they tried to on mine by opening the center latches-they could not, but could open it a fraction.  Put keyed alike locks on all 4 holes to be sure.

If you are flying to Canada and have any other possible option, DO NOT fly through Toronto.  What a nightmare. We never will again.  Terrible. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2017, 02:17:43 PM »
Y but going to New Orleans ,LA in a few months .

Better bring 2 if your heading to N.O.

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2017, 02:59:32 PM »
As far as locks go, go to Wally world and buy their small 3 or 4 pack locks all keyed the same.  When you get to the airport and check the firearm with TSA put a lock in each hole on the case.  Put a key on your key ring and one in your carry on and or wallet, just in case you lose one or one gets misplaced (always have a spare key tucked somewhere).  Put a card inside the case with your Name, address and cell phone number and one on the outside as well.  Flying with checked firearms is safe, secure and easy.

Offline WisTurk

• Southeast WI
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2017, 04:48:30 PM »
I've only flown a couple of times with firearms, but never had a problem.  Was nervous as all get out the first time as I'm sure you are, but it was no biggie in the end.

Offline Spurs Up

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2017, 07:31:33 PM »
I wouldn't exactly say there's nothing to worry about. Luggage, including guns, is lost all too frequently by airlines. Odds are you'll receive it eventually but it could pose a significant inconvenience. Had it happen to me on an international flight. Fly frequently enough and it will happen to you too..

Offline mgm1955

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2017, 08:28:20 PM »
Have done it without a hitch. However, I just returned from a trip on Delta. Had my gun in a hard Pelican case with two locks for the reinforced holes. The Delta supervisor refused to put the gun on the plane. She said "four holes on the case, have to have four locks. TSA rules. If you don't like it , call them." I asked about zip ties for the the two non-reinforced holes and she refused. Ended up taking it back to the truck and leaving it there while I was gone. I'm sure she felt empowered. My only advice is to make sure you check the most recent TSA regs and follow them, maybe have a printed copy with you in case you run into a power crazed agent. Otherwise I don't think you'll have a problem. Good luck!!

Offline WW

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2017, 10:07:48 PM »
 I ship mine to my destination through UPS. You can ship a shotgun or rifle as long as the label has your name on it. Ship it from yourself to yourself... it can have another name on it but it needs to be Attention to that persons name. My outfitters always have it when I arrive, unopened and ready for me.

Offline Tomfoolery

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2017, 10:14:55 PM »
Flown several tkmes with others. Get for locks that are keyed the same. Lock the case with 2 locks and leave the other 2 locks unlocked inside the case with a letter telling TSA to use those locks to lock the gun case in the event they have to cut your locks.

Offline ChiefBubba

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2017, 07:52:05 AM »
Always have extra locks and extra keys. Last time I flew with the TSA locks they lost 2 and flying home wouldn't take it without locks. Don't ask me how but they had locks in the airport.  :P I gave her 20 bucks and she returns with 2 locks, change and a receipt.  :P Now I only use my own locks but always carry extra just in case something happens to them. Another thing is always check them into the counter never with the baggage guy's. I did that one time we did everything the counter does I opened and filled out the card and locked them up but had to go back to the TSA and open again. I've never had any problems but give yourself plenty of time to check in, I usually try to be there 2 hours before the flight.  Bubba

Offline suburbhunter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2017, 08:12:54 AM »
I usually fly Southwest. Never had a problem. Always declared the firearm at the counter, fill out a card, put it in the case, lock it, and done. I have an SKB case and the locks are part of the case itself. Never been asked for a key or notified to come and open the case.

A couple of times the case was put on the baggage claim belt instead of going to the oversized/secure baggage pick up area. I try to be at the baggage claim belt before it starts moving...

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2017, 01:28:49 PM »
I ship mine to my destination through UPS. You can ship a shotgun or rifle as long as the label has your name on it. Ship it from yourself to yourself... it can have another name on it but it needs to be Attention to that persons name. My outfitters always have it when I arrive, unopened and ready for me.

I too have shipped my guns through UPS or Fed X. Made a box out of plywood and reinforced to fit my case snugly. Has several trips under its belt but only a few scratches on the outside. Be advisable to check with outfitter first tho. There,'s always the odd one or two tha does not want guns shipped to them. Overall I would not overthink shipping guns within the US as its pretty straight forward. Shipping outside can be a different story, especially Europe or South America but most outfitters will walk you through it. If not find another outfitter.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline Andy S.

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2017, 01:39:03 PM »
The question of using TSA locks bears some looking in to.  My understanding of the law is that they should not be used for gun cases.
As stated in the TSA regs (49 CFR 1540.111), only the passenger is supposed to have the key or combination.  The TSA locks violate that.
Not true. A buddy of mine just inquired about this and this is the exact response "verbatim" from the TSA:

"Thank you for contacting the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) Contact Center regarding travel with firearms using TSA-recognized locks.

On flights that originate in the United States, passengers may transport a firearm in accordance with 49 CFR §1540.111 under the following conditions:

The firearm must be:
• Unloaded;
• Declared to the airline;
• In checked baggage, not carry-on;
• In a locked, hard-sided container.

Travelers may use any kind or type of lock for securing firearm cases, including
TSA-recognized locks. However, TSA does not recommend or endorse any specific brand or type of lock to use on firearm containers.

For clarification, as defined by 49 CFR §1540.5 a loaded firearm has a live round of ammunition, or any component thereof, in the chamber or cylinder or in a magazine inserted in the firearm. Please be sure that all firearms are unloaded and properly packaged, prior to arriving at the airport.

We encourage passengers to familiarize themselves with TSA Travel Tips at www.tsa.gov\travel\travel-tips. The Web site has information about prohibited and permitted items, the screening process and procedures, and guidance for special considerations that may assist them in preparing for air travel. Passengers may also search the Web site’s database of prohibited and permitted items using the “When I fly can I bring my… feature on the homepage of www.tsa.gov.

We hope this information is helpful.

TSA Contact Center
"

Another thing I would do is print out all info concerning flying with firearms and ammo and place a copy in the case with the weapon, and have a copy on myself. This will help with the incidents where individual airline agents want to create their own rules on how and what they want packed, as well as any TSA agent and their "interpretation" of the law.
Andy S.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.