OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Flying with a gun.... I'm concerned.  (Read 7019 times)

Offline TheSportsman

Flying with a gun.... I'm concerned.
« on: May 24, 2017, 10:15:44 AM »
Guys, I'm curious and wanted some opinions.... Looks like I might be going to Florida next spring for my Osceola. The only option right now if flying Delta Airlines. I've never flew with a gun. I know it'll be checked in as luggage in hard pelican style case but I'm just worried. The gun I hunt with is my father's Beretta 686 onyx over and under. I lost my dad in 2011 to cancer so gun means a lot to me. Just worried about theft, it not making it, etc. What's been your experiences flying with hunting guns? Am I worrying over nothing????

Offline JHoyle

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 10:20:27 AM »
If your worried ship it to a FFL close to your destination and pick it up when u get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
Re: Flying with a gun.... I'm concerned.
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 10:23:12 AM »
I don't know anyone that has lost a gun .... but it is possible. Why not use another gun just to be safe? A lot of outfitters will loan or rent a shotgun because some people don't want to go thru the hassle at the airport.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline mossyoakpro

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 10:38:37 AM »
I just flew to Nebraska on Delta last week with 2 guns....believe it or not the TSA seems to have lightened up some on the gun transport.  After you show them to the attendant at the ticket counter you lock it up and the TSA folks swab it for explosives and put a giant zip tie on it so that it cannot be removed until you get it back in your possession.

As far as theft...I don't think that Delta wants the ATF breathing down their throats so I would not worry about that at all.

Best of luck on your hunt!!
Phillippians 4:13

Offline Bill Cooksey

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 10:47:10 AM »
You're worried about nothing. Obviously there's always a slim possibility something will go wrong, but you're far more likely to have it stolen from your home or even your vehicle while going to the airport. I've flown with a gun over 100 times, and it's no big deal.

Offline gatrapper

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 10:58:58 AM »
I have flown on Delta numerous times with guns. It was a breeze.  :icon_thumright:
"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

Offline FL-Boss

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 11:11:05 AM »
I fly all the time with shotguns.   Delta is fine, nothing to worry about especially if you are flying direct.
If you are real concerned, call the outfitter -  he likely has a pile of shotguns and will let you use one with no problem.
TSA is pretty easy for all the Fla / GA airports. Just get to the airport a few hours early.

Offline Rapscallion Vermilion

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 11:39:48 AM »
A couple of small things that have added to my peace of mind while flying with guns:

I have a set of 4 same-keyed locks and two keys.  One key is on its own key chain for handing over to TSA if they request it.  They are not supposed to, but they do, and I don't argue.  On about 1/3 of my flights with guns, all on Southwest, I've been asked to hand over the key.  Two locks go on the case and the other two are held in reserve in the unlikely event the TSA decides to cut the locks.

My cell phone number is on my ID tag on the gun case.  I've been called after being all the way to the gate and told they want to open the case and need the key.  Not sure what they would have done if they didn't reach me.

Having TSA pre-check is great in the event you get called back through security to open your case. 

Be sure to research the airline specific rules on packing your shells.  Southwest allows you to include them locked in the case with the gun, which is my preference.  Some airlines do not.

Based on my experiences, I feel more confident flying my guns with me than shipping them.  In every instance that I have flown with them, my guns have been hand delivered to me at the baggage claim. Be prepared to wait.  They are usually the last things out.

Offline ChiefBubba

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 11:40:44 AM »
Same as everyone else. I've flown plenty of times and never had a problem. Plus you can put your own locks on it too. You'll have to go to the check in counter to fill out the paperwork and show them the gun and after that lock it up and it goes. The one thing I try to do is fly direct. Bubba

That too always have extra locks. I've used the TSA locks before and they always loose them. They won't let you fly without locks. My buddies have always used non TSA pad locks and never had a problem. I've started using them too. Bubba

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 11:58:19 AM »
I've had more hassle flying without guns then with for some reason. I use a hard sided cast with TSA locks. They never ask for keys. Make sure your shells are in a factory box or a hard sided plastic box. No loose shells. I also include a cleaning rod in my case. I buy oil once at destination. I have a big notice on taped to the outside of the case with my cell number, name and address on it. Only time I was questioned was entering Canada. They wanted to know why my shells were in a plastic box instead of a cardboard one. Supervisor came up and said it was okay they were better packaged than in factory boxes and wished me a successful trip.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 12:10:13 PM »
I never had a prob

Offline Rapscallion Vermilion

• Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 12:36:39 PM »
The question of using TSA locks bears some looking in to.  My understanding of the law is that they should not be used for gun cases.
As stated in the TSA regs (49 CFR 1540.111), only the passenger is supposed to have the key or combination.  The TSA locks violate that.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 01:09:04 PM »
The only other thing I would recommend is to make sure the service counter people and TSA are on the same page about things when you are checking your guns in.  Sometimes the "left foot" doesn't know what the "right foot" is doing. 

I had my entire flight schedule screwed up one time by TSA wanting to get into my gun case after I had gone to the gate.  The service counter folks had checked everything in and said I was good to go.  I was about to board the plane when TSA called the gate and said they had to get in the gun case.  Needless to say, I missed the flight.

Since then, I never leave for the gate until I am absolutely certain that all the unlocking and locking and inspections are all completed.  Anymore, I always ask the service counter folks to get a confirmation from the TSA folks that everything is good to go before I leave the check-in area.  They have always been very cooperative about doing so.

Offline JK Spurs

• Longbeard
  • Dirt Nap
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2017, 06:42:42 PM »
Easy as pie...I was concerned the first time but that's normal. Once you do it the first time you realize there's nothing to worry about.
I like my turkey well peppered

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2017, 07:02:56 PM »
The question of using TSA locks bears some looking in to.  My understanding of the law is that they should not be used for gun cases.
As stated in the TSA regs (49 CFR 1540.111), only the passenger is supposed to have the key or combination.  The TSA locks violate that.

I just got back from Kanasa and when I checked in at both airports I stated to TSA that I had TSA compliant locks. They just said okay and waved me on. The regs state the passenger must have the only key. I do carry the only key to the luggage in regard to aircraft passengers and air crew. I beleive this is the intent of the reg.

Locks are only a temporary deterant anyway.

Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.