OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Upgrade  (Read 2496 times)

Offline Gobble!

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Raptor Killer
Upgrade
« on: May 23, 2017, 02:28:57 PM »
After watching 4 birds die while helping others, I finally got a chance to get my finger back on the trigger yesterday . It was a fantastic hunt on state land. Might as well call this private land because its so hard to get back to. Long story short I got a hen fired up. Once she got hot I poured it to her cutting and yelping hard and she was giving it right back. I didn't immediately know if she had a gobbler with her but with all the calling going on he finally let out a gobble. After probably 10 minutes of tearing into each other I could tell she was within 30 yards, there was a thicket between us so I couldn't see her and she couldn't see me. Once I could tell she was getting close I shut up. Then, here she come cutting and yelping. She walked within 5 yards of me. At this point she's so mad she can't see where I am she flies up into a tree. She lands on a limb 2' behind me and about 8' up and she's still pouring it on. I had a small fold up blind in front of me that probably saved the hunt. At this point I'm getting ready for this long beard to pop up at 10 yards where she did while thinking at the same time at any second she could let out an alarm putt and this games over. Thankfully he walks out on the trail at 32 yards and that was all I needed. Good bird 11 1/8" beard 1 1/8" spurs and weighed 23lbs 5oz. I would like to have known what this old boy would have weighed on opening day. It sounds crazy but I had a hunt just like this last year with a hen within 70 yards of where I shot this bird, only difference was she was alone last year. Last year I was calling and fired up a hen. She came in looking for a fight. She couldn't see me and flew up into a tree 10 yards away where we tore it up for probably 20 minutes before I finally had to stand up to get to work. There were 3 other hens all within 50 yards of me walking around but a gobbler never did get fired up that day.

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 07:15:08 PM »
Congrats on the upgrade!

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline Charley B

Re: Upgrade
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 07:32:54 AM »
That is a verry nice hunt and the bird as well.  Its a big gobbler no doubt.  Hats off sir!

Offline spurman

• In Memorial
  • Double Beard
  • LM NRA. DAV, KYANG
Re: Upgrade
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 09:38:12 AM »
Way to go.  :icon_thumright:
Spring turkey hunting, I love it so.                FREEDOM IS NOT FREE