OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Anyone shooting a browning BPS?

Started by big j, April 12, 2011, 11:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

big j

I am and all though I have only missed once. I am looking to extend my range and pattern. If you are shooting this gun, TEll me what is the best choke you have found and best shell combination?
Thanks in advance!

kwil13

I'm shooting a NWTF BPS with a Indian Creek 665 with 3" hevi-13 6s and getting good patterns out to 55 yards but limit my shots to 40 yds. I've got a Pure Gold waterfowl choke that I like and would like to try one for turkey and see how it does.
Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway.........John Wayne
Support NWTF
Support Delta Waterfowl

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I recently picked up a new BPS, and an INV+ Star Dot choke.

With the 1.75 Ounce Bronze 3" #6 shell, I got 159 in 10" at 40 Yards, at 55 Degrees.

That's the best number I've ever gotten with that shell, in any choke or gun, at any temperature, and I expect to get good numbers from the 2 Ounce Hevi13 shells.

SumToy

Put you a 675 in it from any of the top name choke companies and you will be happy. :anim_25:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

BHMTitan

I'm shooting a 2.75" 12g Browning A5 w/ 21" Invector Plus barrel.  Been killing turkeys fine w/ the factory XFull choke for years, but after being a member of OG I too have the itch to improve my pattern. 

I'm looking to shoot lead #6 and/or Hevi13 #6.  What choke suggestions do you have for this barrel? 

Thanks!!

Gobble!

Quote from: SumToy on April 13, 2011, 08:17:06 AM
Put you a 675 in it from any of the top name choke companies and you will be happy. :anim_25:

contact SumToy he makes a great choke. Pair that with Hevi13 3.5" #7s and you will have a 50 yard killer!!

Jay Longhauser

I got a BPS this year and have done some patterning.  For now, Im happy with the Carlsosns extended .680 (Maybe .685 can't remember for sure) and winchester extended 3.5 inch 6's.  It was tight enough at 20 yards I didn't want anything more. 

allaboutshooting

Quote from: big j on April 12, 2011, 11:30:28 PM
I am and all though I have only missed once. I am looking to extend my range and pattern. If you are shooting this gun, TEll me what is the best choke you have found and best shell combination?
Thanks in advance!

I have 2 of those guns, one with a 3" chamber and one with a 3.5" chamber, both with Invector+ barrels.

I shot one in competition in 2009 (that one belongs to my son) and was fortunate enough to win the world championship in the hunter class with it.

I shot 3" Hevi-13 "Bronze" shells with 2 oz. of #6 shot and the SSX turkey choke. It delivered good even patterns with a tight center core. To me that's much more important than shooting "clumps" often associated with still target shooting success.

The 3.5" gun is an NWTF model in full camo. I also shoot 3" shells in it because for me at least, they just pattern better and allow me to get off a second shot more quickly if needed.

I've shot a variety of chokes in that gun including the Browning "Full Strut" .640, the Wright's #3 .650, the SSX .643 and the Wright's #1 and all have done very well with it. I've shot a variety of additional chokes but those are the ones that did best for me.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

mudhen

I.C. .665 (new stainless) & 3"3.5" H-13 #6's  :)

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Birdman

I use a BPS Stalker with a 28" barrel with Williams Firesights and an Indiam Creek .665"

I was out patterning last Saturday with temps in the mid fifties using Winchester Supreme HV in 3.5" 2oz #5's.

Got some great patterns with my two best of the day at 35yds with a 179 and a 190 hits in a 10" circle.

The only problem is why does it have to hurt so much shooting these big shells?? ???

They kick like a mule!!!

Odessa

I have hunted for two seasons now with a BPS 12 gauge, 3" NWTF version (24" barrel).  I like the shotgun, it is very smooth to operate and well built (very solid).  The downside is that it is heavy; with a Bushnell Trophy Red-dot on a Browning aluminum mount, Claw Sling, four rounds of 3" Hevi-13, and a PureGold .670 choke the rig weighs 9 pounds.  I hunted for 13 hours per day on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday, and 8 hours today - two of the full days were mostly run and gun, and the BPS got heavy to lug.  I held a buddies Mossberg 535 so he could jump a ditch (his has a TruGlo red-dot and it had 3 rounds of 3-1/2 Hevi-13, and a similar sling) and I was amazed how light it was.  He held my BPS so I could cross the ditch and he was amazed how heavy my Browning was.  Other than the weight I like everything about it - patterns with Magnum Blend Hevi-13 and the PureGold .670 are excellent.  All that said, my waterfowl shotgun is a Benelli M-2 (very light compared to my BPS) - I am thinking about switching their roles because all my waterfowling is stationary (blind or stand in swamp).
"I admire a good turkey hunter chiefly because such a man displays qualities that we usually associate with pioneer America-patience, enthusiasm, woodcraft, game sense, and a quiet hardihood undaunted by rain, by cold, by long tough miles, by disappointment."
Archibald Rutledge

hunttherut

I shoot a .670 in my invector plus

kwil13

thats the only problem I have with my BPS is that its heavy and I'm using a ghost ring sight instead of a scope and that it kicks like a mule, I duck hunt with a Gold Evolve and it's a lot lighter and don't pack the wallop
Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway.........John Wayne
Support NWTF
Support Delta Waterfowl

stinkpickle

My primary gun is a BPS (Inv+, 3" chamber, 26" barrel).  Although I haven't done a completely exhaustive test of all choke/load combinations, I stopped after trying a Pure Gold .670 with Hevi-13 3-2-7's.  Anything better would be practically unnecessary.