OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Shotshell Reloading  (Read 2245 times)

Offline Zombie1978

Shotshell Reloading
« on: May 23, 2017, 08:52:18 AM »
What kind of reloafing setup does everyone use? I reload for rifle now and am thinking of getting into reloading for my shotgun. Thinking of trying the Lee Load All to see if I like it.

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

Offline deadbuck

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Shotshell Reloading
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 09:11:54 AM »
Are you going to load lead and steel, or TSS? I have A Load all and it works fine in a low volume setting. If loading tss a load all is useless.

Offline Zombie1978

Shotshell Reloading
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 07:33:04 PM »
Mostly just lead and steel for now.

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

Offline S.C.C

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 08:26:21 PM »
Mec jr's is what I use for 12 and 20ga. 2 3/4" tried the load all at first but it didn't impress!

Offline BandedSpur

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 08:19:39 AM »
MEC Jr for lead and steel. No press needed for TSS. You will tire of using the Lee very quickly. Get a MEC.

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 06:07:15 PM »
My buddy still uses a Lee loadall and pumps out some pretty good volume. I've not used it and when I'd considered buying one, found a used mec for less than the Lee unit. I've got 4 of them now (410, 2-20's and a 12) and love them. Well, haven't used the 410 yet but impressed with the others so far.

Offline 2gbl

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 10:52:16 AM »
I don't reload shotgun but like everyone else I am considering it.  Is the reason you don't need a press due to the fact that you are starting with new primed hulls and roll crimping? Also, I see that some loads are finished with roll crimping.  Could this same load be crimped if I had a press?

Thanks
2gbl

Offline BandedSpur

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 09:55:44 AM »
I don't reload shotgun but like everyone else I am considering it.  Is the reason you don't need a press due to the fact that you are starting with new primed hulls and roll crimping? Also, I see that some loads are finished with roll crimping.  Could this same load be crimped if I had a press?

Thanks
2gbl
You are correct about why you don't need a press to load TSS. The answer to your second question is, it depends. To roll crimp a shell, you need 1/4" of hull above the OSC. To fold crimp a shell, you need at  least 5/16". Some loads that end up with more than 1/4" of hull above the OSC that are roll crimped are trimmed so that there is only 1/4". Those loads are good candidates for fold crimping; just don't trim. Other loads are slap full, leaving only 1/4" above the OSC; those could not be fold crimped. The thickness of the OSC comes into play as well. Some 12 ga loads use clear plastic frangible OSCs that are a lot thicker than the thin cardboard OSCs used in all other gauges.

Offline turkeyinstrut

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2017, 10:08:55 PM »

Thanks
2gbl

When loading TSS if the recipe calls for a roll crimp then that is what you really should use, fold crimps raises pressures and a lot of the recipes are near maximum on PSI anyway and roll crimping is very easy to do and looks great and feeds well in pumps or semi's.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2017, 03:40:17 AM »
Imo the Mec is a better system. As guys stated if you're looking to load tss for Turks and the recipe calls for roll crimps or something do what it says same as rifle.