OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Gunsmith adding a cantilever mount to barrel  (Read 4268 times)

Offline jtg88

Gunsmith adding a cantilever mount to barrel
« on: May 21, 2017, 06:13:03 PM »
I've got an off the wall question for y'all. I want to take a Browning Maxus barrel and have it cut down to 22" and also have a cantilever added to the barrel so I can put a FF3 on it and just swap barrels each season when its time to hunt ducks and doves without having to loosen optic mounting hardware on the receiver each year.  Anybody know if this is feasible or know of a gunsmith that would even consider this? Thanks.

Offline TheSportsman

Re: Gunsmith adding a cantilever mount to barrel
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 07:21:26 PM »
You might be better of calling Browning and seeing if a sx3 barrel off there nwtf model will fit you maxus. Guns very similar

Offline lunghit

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 08:56:34 PM »
You might be better of calling Browning and seeing if a sx3 barrel off there nwtf model will fit you maxus. Guns very similar
I'm pretty sure the Browning Silver and SX3 barrels are interchangeable but not the Maxus.I could be wrong so a call to Browning might be the best way to go. Make sure you are sitting down when you see the price of the barrels though.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

Offline grayfox

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 11:13:15 PM »
I've got an off the wall question for y'all. I want to take a Browning Maxus barrel and have it cut down to 22" and also have a cantilever added to the barrel so I can put a FF3 on it and just swap barrels each season when its time to hunt ducks and doves without having to loosen optic mounting hardware on the receiver each year.  Anybody know if this is feasible or know of a gunsmith that would even consider this? Thanks.

I think it's a great question. I have thought about doing this before on my Beretta 3901 to have a one do all gun. I'm sure it can be done but what kind of price will it cost. If I was a gun manufacturer I would offer a shotgun with a 21" cantilever barrel for turkey hunting along with a standard 26" or 28" for dove & etc. Both would have a choke system & the cantilever would accept a scope or red dot. I know some will want different barrel lengths but this would be my preferences. We all have our dreams for the perfect gun. Also I would want the stock so you could change the LOP by adding or removing spacers like my magpul stock on my 870. I believe it would be a big seller since many people can't afford two guns at the price they are these days.

Offline allaboutshooting

• In Memorial
  • Long Spur Gobbler
    • allaboutshooting
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 06:45:11 AM »

You may want to think about this https://www.amazon.com/B-Square-Universal-Cantilever-Mount-Ribs-8-Inch/dp/B000VYPF2S These are pretty easy to install and they work well with "dot" type sights that are light. I have put 2 of them on guns for my grandsons. I can pull the barrel off and install another barrel without ever disturbing the zero on the sights. I have one on a Remington 11-87 youth and another on a Mossberg 510. The 510 also has an ATI adjustable stock, so it can "grow" with him or can be adjusted to fit for turkeys or waterfowl.

This is a pretty easy alternative to gunsmith work.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Offline lowoctane

• Longbeard
  • “When I die, then I’ll be old.”
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 08:57:23 AM »
 :morning:.
What Clark said! The important part in this mod is "lightweight" sight...
I’m Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Offline jtg88

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 01:32:22 PM »
That cantilever rib mount looks like exactly what I need. I never knew such a thing existed.  Thanks for the help

Offline allaboutshooting

• In Memorial
  • Long Spur Gobbler
    • allaboutshooting
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 05:22:58 PM »
That cantilever rib mount looks like exactly what I need. I never knew such a thing existed.  Thanks for the help
You're welcome. They work well, especially with "dot" type sights.
Thanks,
Clark

Offline grayfox

• Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 11:05:18 PM »

You may want to think about this https://www.amazon.com/B-Square-Universal-Cantilever-Mount-Ribs-8-Inch/dp/B000VYPF2S These are pretty easy to install and they work well with "dot" type sights that are light. I have put 2 of them on guns for my grandsons. I can pull the barrel off and install another barrel without ever disturbing the zero on the sights. I have one on a Remington 11-87 youth and another on a Mossberg 510. The 510 also has an ATI adjustable stock, so it can "grow" with him or can be adjusted to fit for turkeys or waterfowl.

This is a pretty easy alternative to gunsmith work.

Thanks,
Clark

Clark do you know if this would fit a Beretta 3901 12 gauge? I have an extra 24" barrel I could add a red dot too. Thanks for the info.

Offline allaboutshooting

• In Memorial
  • Long Spur Gobbler
    • allaboutshooting
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 09:29:29 AM »
Clark do you know if this would fit a Beretta 3901 12 gauge? I have an extra 24" barrel I could add a red dot too. Thanks for the info.

You're welcome. It will ribs up to 3/8" so it should fit your Beretta.

Thanks,
Clark

Offline stinkpickle

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • "Milk was a bad choice!"
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 10:44:12 AM »
They're easy to trim down if you're only mounting a red dot sight.  I cut the cantilever end off, so it's basically just a rib mounted base.  I left it long enough that the mounting plate butts up to a rib pillar, but that's probably overkill.

Offline grayfox

• Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 01:07:22 PM »

You're welcome. It will ribs up to 3/8" so it should fit your Beretta.

Thanks,
Clark

I'm gonna get the Beretta set up with one of these before next season. Thanks again Clark & to all who shared some good info.

Offline diyj98

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 01:54:00 PM »
I'd love to have a short cantilever barrel for my 11-87m but Remington quit making them :(   My 26" barrel has a rib, but I'd like to keep that as is for wing shooting.  The 21" barrel I just picked up for turkey hunting has no rib, so I guess I'm stuck with the rifle sights.