OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Feather ridge  (Read 6245 times)

Offline Brantley

Feather ridge
« on: May 20, 2017, 08:27:35 PM »
I'm considering getting a feather ridge jig (if they still make them) and using my drill press to set the frame. Do you all know 1) do they still offer the mouthcall Jig? 2) I have the most success using cutter style calls, exception is the Scott Ellis signature which I think is a modified v. I'd like a call with a lot of front hi end and less rasp. What should I look for in the top cut to get that?
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep... just like my grandfather. Not screaming, like the people in his car.

Offline Terry

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
Feather ridge
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 02:22:44 PM »
They still make the jig, I just bought one.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline Lonehowl

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Feather ridge
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 07:48:18 PM »
Why would you use a drill press? Am I missing something?
Mark

Offline Brantley

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 08:27:19 PM »
I just figured I could use the drill press to seat the aluminum frame. Probably unnecessary. Looking at the mouthcall presses online and it looked like they use a similar method is used to press the frame together. I'm not actually going to drill to mouthcall. Terry, does the jig work well? Would you recommend it?
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep... just like my grandfather. Not screaming, like the people in his car.

Offline Lonehowl

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 09:01:03 PM »
Unnecessary. Couple vids on you tube shows how to do it. Just thought I'd mention it. Good luck.
Mark

Offline Terry

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 09:00:41 AM »

Terry, does the jig work well? Would you recommend it?

I haven't used it yet. Four kids have been keeping me busy with their sports games and I just moved into a new home. Probably won't get to trying it until June.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline Rkeifer

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 11:47:41 PM »
I purchased the jig from Thad two years ago.  I just make calls for myself.  It works great.

Offline wise game calls

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 04:13:54 PM »
I have Thad's hand jig and economy cutter and couldn't be any more pleased. Thad takes a lot of pride in what he makes and the craftsmanship you get shows that.