OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Deep cleaning question?  (Read 2154 times)

Offline Coop1082

• The Boss Gobbler
Deep cleaning question?
« on: May 20, 2017, 07:09:08 PM »
Followed Clark's advice on my brand spanking new BPS and deep cleaned the bore. It was bought new, fired all of 10 or so times to pattern with a bore snake between each shot, and fired three times on birds and the amount of junk that came out of the bore was unreal. I can't wait to see what it will do on paper now all spickity span. The question I have is when you guys deep clean, do you use a bore guide? I do use a one piece Tetra  coated rod for the occasional patch, just have never done the full deep clean on a shotgun. Are there the same concerns for shotguns as with rifle barrels as far as bore damage? I tried to stay as perfectly straight as I can but when scrubbing I did make contact with the bore occasionally and the brush sometimes ran out the end of the barrel and hit against the outer opening/"crown" of the barrel and had to be pulled back through. All of which I know are concerns with a rifled barrel, just sure about a shotguns smooth bore. Thanks guys!
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

Offline mossyoakpro

• Longbeard
Re: Deep cleaning question?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 07:35:40 PM »
I know there are folks with a lot more experience than me on this subject but when I do a deep clean I use a flush mounted open choke.  I have done several and it seems to work fine.  I have never noticed any damage anywhere.

Phillippians 4:13

Offline Coop1082

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 07:50:43 PM »
I kept  a modified choke in per Clarks instructions! I just didnt know if the dinging I found myself doing occasionally was something to be more careful with. I didn't notice anything at the end of the deep cleaning, but I have seen a ruined rifle or two from people dinging the crown. I appreciate the input!
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

Offline allaboutshooting

• In Memorial
  • Long Spur Gobbler
    • allaboutshooting
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 09:01:08 PM »
I use a bore guide when I clean shotguns but it's probably overkill. The muzzle is much less critical than on a rifle or handgun.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Offline agent eight seven O

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 07:35:03 PM »
What is this bore guide you speak of?

Offline allaboutshooting

• In Memorial
  • Long Spur Gobbler
    • allaboutshooting
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 08:31:34 PM »
What is this bore guide you speak of?

This is the one that I use https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Shot-Fits-27-Caliber-Rods/dp/B005KW466W/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495412970&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=Pro+Bore+shotgun+muzzle+guide

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Offline gleezer

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 09:12:19 PM »
I read of a simple homemade bore guide that I used when I deep cleaned my shotgun barrel. You need an empty 20 ga. and 12 ga. shell. Knock out the primers from both shells. Find a drill bit just a tad bigger than the dia. of your cleaning rod and drill out the primer holes with it. Insert the 20 ga. shell open end into the open end of the 12 ga. shell. Put the 12 ga. shell into the barrels chamber, put barrel in a gunsmith vice and you ready for deep cleaning. Sorry. you need to slide your cleaning rod through both shells before you attach your brush or scrub pad before inserting into your barrel.