OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Messing around post season Browning BPS 3.5 LB #5 questions?  (Read 4265 times)

Offline Coop1082

• The Boss Gobbler
I had a pretty solid this year running the LBs out of a Pure Gold .670 in my BPS with the 3.5" 2oz #5 load. I'm looking for opinions on how you guys think it stacks up. On painters paper I'm between 140-150 in a 10" nice and even, and below is a picture of one of the face targets I used at 40 yards. Reason behind asking is I'm considering boarding the #7 hevi-shot train next year. I hunt lower Alabama and fields aren't usually an option on my lease, so the long shots aren't the norm but I do battle heavy brush a lot.  I live by 40 yards and in, BUT did take one at a marked 43 steps out of a powerline with the LB #5s this year and they did their job. Yardage miscalculation on my pet. At the end of they day I know my limits and I am a tight wad so lead speaks well to me, but with the numbers the 7s throw, I'm curious as to how they stack up against lead 5's in the "oops he was 45, not 35 range".
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 09:44:56 PM by Coop1082 »
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

Offline maddog3355

Re: Messing around post season Browning BPS 3.5 LB #5 questions?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 08:36:43 AM »
 I'm a tightwad to and I shot hevishot when it first came out in Remington shells then went to Hevi 13 #6 then magblends. I have been shooting Winchester Long Beard 3inch #5 for 4 seasons and if you stay in the 40 yard +- a few you cannot beat them. Imo the fault of the long beards are to tight of a pattern at close ranges. Never shot the Hevi #7 but they will definitely look better on paper than the Longbeard #5.

Offline lowoctane

• Longbeard
  • “When I die, then I’ll be old.”
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 08:34:29 AM »
 :morning:.  Another +1 for LB's here. I've shot many rounds with success, but have settled on LB because they satisfy my needs in both cost and effectiveness. This thread will no doubt explode with all types of facts and opinions, so hang on!!!
Again, it's gonna come down to what you are happy with given your particular requirements. This year I messed up and shot a rooster low at 30 yds with LB 3x6x 1.75 and it blew him back a yard or so and tore up his breast. Fortunately I have a friend who feeds her dogs wild game and she was able to reclaim most of the 24 lb'r... :camohat:
I’m Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 08:53:51 AM »
Any HTL load will out preform any lead load 0-40 yards and in the range in which we discourage. Those lead 5s will do great to 40 yards but if want more piece of mind then go to HTL.
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 09:24:18 AM »
Looks good to me!

Offline Ihuntoldschool

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 10:11:52 PM »
I personally prefer plain lead with no copper or nickel.  But out of the two choices you asked about, the Longbeards would be better.  You see lead kills turkeys dead; now there are no degrees of dead.  Dead is dead, no such thing as deader. That other stuff will also kill but it will put added stress on your choke and barrel which will take its toll over time (cumulative effect).      Take the Kicks chokes as an example, built like a tank as strong or stronger than any choke on the market.  They won't approve them for anything other than lead, even though they are stronger than many of the other makers who approve HTL use in their chokes.

Offline BandedSpur

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 07:24:16 AM »
 "I'm curious as to how they stack up against lead 5's in the "oops he was 45, not 35 range".

No difference; he'll be just as dead with either one. Inside 40, I would prefer the HS 7s for better coverage in the 10-20" area.

Offline snodswinger89

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 09:17:38 AM »
7s will have better coverage but that pattern looks fine either way