OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: optima single shot 20 ga...vented rib...threaded choke  (Read 5932 times)

Offline Hooks' n' Beards'

• Cuttin n' Struttin
optima single shot 20 ga...vented rib...threaded choke
« on: May 19, 2017, 01:50:04 PM »
I picked up a slightly used 20 gauge single shot with mossy oak camo stock and forend,vented rib and threaded choke system...paid basically nothing..great little gun.Brought it home,screwed in my .565 turkey choke from my other 20 ga from hatsan and put on some fiber optic sights i had kicking around...hopefully try a few shells through it this weekend and maybe get it out for a hunt before the end of May...125 dollars with a sling and a modified choke...i am happy as it shoulders fantastic.....

Offline turkeyinstrut

Re: optima single shot 20 ga...vented rib...threaded choke
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 10:23:51 PM »
Great snag.

Offline Hooks' n' Beards'

• Cuttin n' Struttin
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 03:34:04 PM »
I put a few rounds through it this morning and it patterns well,with triple beard and fed #5's but gun is shooting about 5" low at 20 yards.I only fired 4 shells,2 of each but all 4 shots hit low.I was using fiber optic i had here,i may buy another sight and see what happens.It will not be going to the woods this spring,but it will be ready for next spring.

Offline monty690

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 04:54:11 PM »
That'll be a nice gun to tote next spring. Even with it shooting low, what did the pattern look like?

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 09:17:05 PM »
I dropped this gun off today to be drilled and tapped,I should have it back later this week.I am just deciding on which sight I want to put on this gun.It will be a reflex or red dot and I am thinking of the truglo gobble stopper for this gun.This is a gun that I forgot all about and just recently took it out of the cabinet and got the urge to use it this year.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 01:05:52 PM »
My family friend never did drill and tap the gun,he got busy with his real job and was to get it done in may sometime.I stopped by the other night and grabbed it.I ordered some realtree xtra green gun wrap and a new fiber optic sight for it and will see if I can get it shooting better this weekend then I did last spring.I think it may have been the sight I had installed on it.If not,I will drop it off and get it drilled and tapped.I want the whole gun camoed instead of just the stock and forend.I love the feel of this gun and it's extremely light with screw in chokes.I want to hunt with it this spring.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 10:43:16 PM »
I went up to the local store and they happened to have the beard buster sight,I bought it and put it on tonight.I am taking this gun to pattern it saturday.If i can get it to shoot poi within reason.I want to try mag blends and long beard 6's from it.I can't wait to try it out and kill a bird with it.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2018, 11:11:47 AM »
So,this gun still was shooting low,it was about 3-4" low at 20 yards.I could hunt with it if I wanted to,however.I will be getting this drilled and tapped for a small red dot or reflex sight for next spring.I will still be carrying if for grouse hunting while I am away bow hunting moose every fall.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 09:11:03 PM »
I wrapped it in break up gun wrap the other day and dropped it of to get it drilled and tapped today,I am hoping to get it setup and dialed in for a week from now.He is doing the work either tonight or tomorrow evening.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2019, 02:39:52 PM »
I ended up getting this gun drilled and tapped and took it with me moose hunting last fall to kill grouse with when we were not bow hunting,we shot over 50 grouse with it during the 8 days we were away and I used a little reflex sight.I have not had time or used this turkey hunting yet so I am going to make it a project for this fall to get it ready and setup for turkey hunting.It is really nice and light and now I want to try a new choke and maybe some tss. We are planning a trip here in the next year or so to Florida and Nebraska and this is the gun I believe I will take with me,as long as I can get it setup the exact way I want and with a pattern at 40 yards that rivals some of my other 20's and tss.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2019, 03:30:22 PM »
Got the urge to paint this one,I have the first coat on,beige and letting it dry,I am going with an asat camo colors,beige,brown and black with the elastic pattern.Something different and hopefully turns out nice.I figured it is worth the chance for the little I spent on it and it was just collecting dust other than moose hunt every year.I hope to have it finished sometime this week.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2019, 07:46:28 PM »
I finished the gun up today,loctited the mount on and then put a reflex sight on it and screwed in my .665 extra full turkey choke in,It took me 4 shells to get it dialed in at 25 yards,stepped back to 40 yards and fired mag blend and could not believe how well that shell and choke combo shoots from that gun.I will be shooting mag blends from this little gun,It weighs about 4 lbs and shoots amazing.I will get some pictures of the gun up early next week.I have to say for the little I have into the gun,It shoots as good as some of my 1100 dollar guns.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2019, 01:40:44 PM »
I plan on taking it hunting this week a few times.

Offline obro

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2019, 02:12:00 PM »
Looks good

Offline Old Timer

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2019, 07:34:29 PM »
Pretty darn nice paint job! Year ago when we were raising the kids cash was a premium. I used to go to the laundry and buy used brown work pants. My buddy and i painted our guns and barn boots. The turkeys didnt seem to mind! Nice job.