OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Hevi-shot cut open  (Read 8962 times)

Offline mossyoakpro

• Longbeard
Re: Hevi-shot cut open
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2017, 07:14:46 AM »
The look of the shot never bothered me with hevi cause it was devastating on ole Tom, only reason I switched to loading my own is so I did not have to worry about what they changed from lot to lot that made my pattern decrease while the price increased.
Makes sense to me... :z-twocents: ;)

Yup, I definitely wouldn't be interested in buying it year to year. When the numbers were up with the Hevi 13 3.5 7's I went out and bought a lifetime supply of those and the Hevi 13 3/2/7's, 3/2/6's. Back then they were 16.99-19.99 for the box of 5. My suggestion to people is when you hit the right combo with your gun go out and buy cases of the shell because things change. Also went out and bought 10 boxes of the XX 3/2/6's and 10 boxes of the Win HV 3/ 1 3/4 / 6's.  Right after I did that they confused us all with changing the labels of the shells. The way turkeys are now my boys will have plenty of shells to run through my guns long after I'm gone. This was the first year in 38 years I didn't fire a shot at a turkey. All the Hevi 13 stock I have didn't deplete at all unfortunately.

Same here friend....I have not killed a bird in my home state in 2 years.  You can stockpile shells for a while if you don't have the opportunity to use them.
Phillippians 4:13

Offline Gobble!

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Raptor Killer
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2017, 07:04:48 PM »
I'd like to find TSS that looked like that.

Offline ka30270

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2017, 08:23:48 PM »
Is the TSS not round?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Hevi-shot cut open
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2017, 08:51:41 PM »
Is the TSS not round?

It is round

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline Gobble!

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Raptor Killer
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2017, 01:43:43 PM »
Is the TSS not round?

It is round

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very round. I like to find some that was ugly.

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2017, 07:46:39 AM »
I use the straight 7 shot and all I know it is BAD medicine to turkeys.  When you put 300 plus of Hevi 7's in a 10 inch circle at 40 on a turkeys head, who cares what it looks like.  The 7's just flat out kill turkeys and that is what I'm looking for.  It doesn't have to be perfectly round to do it's job.  I've never opened one and don't plan on it, they just do there job every time.

Offline LI Outdoorsman

• Avid hunter,fisherman,sporting goods retailer
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2017, 08:11:30 AM »
 I tried the Hevi 13's this for the first time in my 870..#5's..Killed 2 rios in Texas and totally flattened a NY jake last weds at 29 yds..No flopping..just flattened..now trying to find them in #6 so I can stockpile..I was impressed

Offline Longshanks

• Longbeard
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2017, 01:06:43 PM »
I use the straight 7 shot and all I know it is BAD medicine to turkeys.  When you put 300 plus of Hevi 7's in a 10 inch circle at 40 on a turkeys head, who cares what it looks like.  The 7's just flat out kill turkeys and that is what I'm looking for.  It doesn't have to be perfectly round to do it's job.  I've never opened one and don't plan on it, they just do there job every time.

Thats the point I have come to in the last several years. It doesn't get any better than the Hevi 7's when it comes to factory ammunition. Not interested in setting up shop to reload or pay $10+ a shell. All four of my 12guages are set up to shoot Hevi 7's. 270's-330's in a 10 with the Hevi 7's is brutal on the turkey.  20guages shoot the Fed HW 7's. 160's-180's in a 10 at 40.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 11:50:23 AM by Longshanks »

Offline stinkpickle

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • "Milk was a bad choice!"
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2017, 01:11:56 PM »
I have also stockpiled quite a bit of Ugly-13.

Offline lunghit

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2017, 04:04:45 PM »
I don't care what it looks like because it hammers turkeys. I have a small stockpile of 3" number 6 that I have 100% confidence in.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

Online WildSpur

• Longbeard
Hevi-shot cut open
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2017, 09:27:37 PM »
I will take those snowman and bowling pin pellets any day over round ones.  Those are the ones that will cause the tissue damage and can help if you misjudged the yardage. 

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2017, 09:55:00 AM »
With what a box of hevi 13 costs I never saw the need to cut open a $5 shell, might as well burn a $5 bill IMO.  To each his own, when I shot it the turkeys never complained about the shape of the pellets, pretty much no comment everytime  ;)

Offline jimmy w

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2017, 08:10:53 PM »
Junk and they can't be good on your barrel

Offline Old Gobbler

• Administrator
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2017, 08:07:00 AM »
Hevi shot has always looked like that , from day one , it's part of the  smelting/manufacturimg process
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Offline turkeyinstrut

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2017, 09:31:07 AM »

Personally I wouldn't want TSS like that, the main reason TSS patterns so well is because it is perfectly round, polished and very very hard, a load of round shot will pattern much better than the "snowman" shaped shot and because it is so hard it doesn't deform. If lead shot didn't deform while passing through the bore and then the choke it would pattern much better than it does, plus the odd shape shot looses velocity much faster than a perfectly round shot. JMO