OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Barrel length test

Started by Double B, January 21, 2018, 04:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

owlhoot

Quote from: turkeyinstrut on January 23, 2018, 11:14:34 AM
Quote from: Double B on January 21, 2018, 05:45:23 PM
That 1325 was a hot one the other were in the high 1260s.  I was pleasantly surprised at the overall fps for both barrels.  The longbeards advertise 1200 for these 3" shells.   I'm gonna hang in to the long barrel, its a real good shooter, but look forward to better maneuverability without much speed sacrificed.  I have a few other loads and may do a few more tests later.  Definitely going to shoot longbeards  through a couple other 12s and compare speeds too.

1325 FPS when advertised at 1200 FPS? That's not very good quality control seeing how the test barrels are 30" long.

Lots of variables,chamber and barrel internals ,powder burn rates etc.
A tight choke has been shown to increase velocity.
As far as actual experience I can only speak of rifle chronographing with factory and handloads in various rifles were used

Bigeclipse

Quote from: turkeyinstrut on January 23, 2018, 11:14:34 AM
Quote from: Double B on January 21, 2018, 05:45:23 PM
That 1325 was a hot one the other were in the high 1260s.  I was pleasantly surprised at the overall fps for both barrels.  The longbeards advertise 1200 for these 3" shells.   I'm gonna hang in to the long barrel, its a real good shooter, but look forward to better maneuverability without much speed sacrificed.  I have a few other loads and may do a few more tests later.  Definitely going to shoot longbeards  through a couple other 12s and compare speeds too.

1325 FPS when advertised at 1200 FPS? That's not very good quality control seeing how the test barrels are 30" long.

I'm an avid reloader and have shot many different Chrono's. Chrono's like the one the poster used, are not exactly perfect for real world FPS BUT they are great for tracking changes in barrel lengths, powder charge, and consistency from load to load. What I mean by this is when he states he got 1260fps...another chrono might show 1180fps. But both those chronos will be consistent with themselves if that makes sense. Sun brightness can also cause some variation and distance from the chrono. most chronos advise for 10ft. These could have given him the slightly higher FPS than what the factory states OR he really could be getting faster ammo than advertised. You really need to jump into the chronographs that cost 3 times as much as the one pictured to know for sure. Still was a very informative test showing that longer barrels do indeed yield faster velocities and that gun makers may be going in the wrong direction with these ultrashort barreled turkey guns under 20inches.