turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

My sons second bird, 1st unassisted.

Started by JDogg, April 12, 2011, 09:01:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDogg

Its been awhile since I've been on here, but since turkey season is coming in MO, I'm fired up.  Took my 8 year old son out this last weekend for the youth hunt.  Lots of birds but they didn't seem to interested in the calls.  So we spent the afternoon in a ground blind in a pretty good travel area.  I let my son do all the calling with a box call.  No sooner than he put the call down here came this large jake.  He let him have it at 30yds.  He had turkey fever so bad that had to clamp his hand over his mouth to keep from giggling!   We had an absolute blast, one of the best days of my life!!!  This is his second bird.  He got the first one when he was six, but is required a little assistance from dad, he didn't get to go last year because I grounded him for getting his BB gun out without supervision.  This bird is 100% his and he wants it mounted.  Do you guys think I should get it done?  Also this was a public land bird.

sugarray

First, congrats on a great hunt with your son.  Second, I am glad to hear of what happened last year.  Not enough parents being parents any more.

Third, that is a tough decision.  I want to mount my son's first as well, but don't know that I would a jake.  You have to decide for yourself if you will be happy with that mount for the next 25 yrs?  Would you be more happy with his first long beard?

JVA54

Trevor2

I dont think its wether you would be happy with it but rather would the jake make him happy for however long to come or would he rather have mounted a longbeard?
Strutstopper

JDogg

Yeah last year was tough for me because I really wanted to take him, but I knew he needed  consequences for what he did.  We treat BB guns just like firearms around here.  I hate them dang airsoft guns, seems to blur the line a little.  Anyway back on topic.  I had hoped he could get a longbeard and I actually thought this was an adult when it was running up to us because it was soo large.  It didn't look all lanky like most jakes do.  His first bird he asked if he could get it mounted, but I said lets wait until you can get one all on your own.  Soon as this one was down he started talking about getting it mounted.  He wants it in a flying pose on the wall so the  beard is not going to be all that visible anyway.  I tried to talk to him about other options, and the fact that if he got a buck this year the taxidermy funds would be used up, but he really seemed crushed at the thought of not mounting it.  Its in the freezer for now, I'm thinking about it.

frank1969

Hognutz

Congrats to your son. If money is not an issue, I absolutely would have it mounted. Like Frank said, ''There is only one first bird''.  :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Flydown

Congratulations to your son! If my boy wanted his first turkey mounted, I would not hesitate getting him to the taxidermist. Good job dad for getting him in the turkey woods! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

cannonball

Trip

I would let him decide if he wanted to get it mounted....If he does then I would not hesitate. Congrats on a great Hunt!!!!  :icon_thumright:

turkey slayer

new2turkey

Quote from: Flydown on April 12, 2011, 09:55:25 PM
Congratulations to your son! If my boy wanted his first turkey mounted, I would not hesitate getting him to the taxidermist. Good job dad for getting him in the turkey woods! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

x2

congrats on his first bird  :icon_thumright: