OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Well, that was a dump of a season...  (Read 4076 times)

Offline Deputy 14

• Longbeard
Well, that was a dump of a season...
« on: May 16, 2017, 10:33:59 PM »
Well, WV season was an absolute bust for me. Birds started gobbling the first week of March and season doesn't start until the third week of April so that was the first set back. In comes season and I had 0 time to scout after taking a new position at work which requires me to be  there between 65-75 hours a week which ate up all my time. So opening day is a downpour with 30 mph winds do no go. Day 2 I hunt the area I always start, which usually holds birds. Strike a bird close on the roost, slip to about 70 yards and setup, he gobbles about 100 times and flys down, watch him hit the ground and he immediately walks away and never makes another sound. Hunt until 1pm and heard one bird gobble one time. Hunt two more days opening week, birds roost gobble, no more gobbling after 7:15, no silent birds coming in, just a pure disaster.
So the 2nd week rolls around and I have to go back to work, but working narcotics I've got some free time in the mornings since these shitbags don't get up until noon or so. Hunt 3 days the second week, same as the first, roost gobbling and then they shut up and won't come to a call. The third day I hunted the second week we counted 16 birds gobbling on the roost at 6:30, by 7 the woods are silent. About 7:45 we heard one bird about 500 yards off that's gobbling good and is actually coming in. We get setup on the ridge about 400 yards from him, he cuts about half the distance and..phone alarm goes off at 8:15 reminding me that I have no choice but to leave because I have federal court at 10:15 and if I was a minute late, I'd have ended up in jail, so I get up and walk away from that bird. The next two weeks it rained 5 of 7 days and the days that were nice I was working, so that was my bullsh*t season in a nutshell. Hope all of you guys had fun with yours, always next year I guess.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Offline Hayudog

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Well, that was a dump of a season...
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 01:16:12 PM »
Thinking on the positive side... they will be a year older next year. We will be in the contest needing a high scoring gobbler and you will have one to put on the board!  Stay safe.

Offline longbeard11

• The Boss Gobbler
    • Grunt, Gobble, & Gills Outdoors
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 02:12:10 PM »
What part of WV?

Offline TrackeySauresRex

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 02:38:36 PM »
Sounds like some of us are here in the same boat. I'm hoping to get out next week a couple of days.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Offline Deputy 14

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 06:55:30 PM »
Boone County, longbeard11.

Offline Mountainburd

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 07:47:02 PM »
Hang in there man.  New assignments can definitely impact time in the woods.  If West Virginia is anything like Virginia and Pennsylvania then I know what you experienced.  I had way more bad days then good.  Tough tough year.  You'll be back in the game next year.

Offline longbeard11

• The Boss Gobbler
    • Grunt, Gobble, & Gills Outdoors
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 11:02:33 PM »
Gotcha. It was a tough year, hunted hard, but paid off for me.

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 12:08:57 PM »
Dang it Deputy14 :police:, that sucks!! Welcome to the club. Seems like a lot of our team is having crappy seasons. That's a bummer about the new assignment keeping you out of the woods. A WC injury requiring therapy 3 times a week was the assignment that kept me out of the woods most of the season. But next year's assignment for me, should yield dividends. That assignment will be "retired". :firefighter: :icon_thumright: ;D :lol: :fud: :turkey: :turkey: :turkey:

Offline FL-Boss

• Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 12:19:24 PM »
Bird closing the gap fast ? humm.. that's a tough one, I may have considered the jail time involved if I stayed
 :fud:    :OGani:

Offline Deputy 14

• Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 10:47:36 PM »
Hahahaha FL-boss, had it been state court I'd have asked for forgiveness after I showed up covered in feathers and turkey blood.

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 11:31:12 AM »
Hahahaha FL-boss, had it been state court I'd have asked for forgiveness after I showed up covered in feathers and turkey blood.
:TooFunny: ;D :lol: