OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: 1st of 2017 (Ontario)  (Read 3800 times)

Offline 4n2t0

1st of 2017 (Ontario)
« on: May 15, 2017, 01:43:43 PM »
I called this guy in from two fields away. I couldn't spot him but the gobbling kept getting closer. 45 minutes later I spot a hen so I start calling to her and she responds with some yelps, clucks, and purrs so we talk to each other for a while. All of a sudden I hear a loud gobble. The hen had him by the proverbial balls and he was going wherever she led him. I still can't see him but he's just around the corner and I can hear him spitting and drumming. Finally he comes into sight but he won't come into my decoy setup, he's content with strutting around the real hen. I watch this go on for 10 minutes and realize that he's not going to give me an easy shot. He's at my far right so I wait for 1-2 yards of separation from the hen and take him with an awkward shot at 20 yards.

Offline canadatom

Re: 1st of 2017 (Ontario)
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 08:52:53 PM »
Congrats on a nice one!

Offline Oconeeguy

• Georgia gobbler
Re: 1st of 2017 (Ontario)
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 10:16:44 PM »
Maybe just the sun, but he looks kinda brown. Color phase might vary slightly from place to place. Birds around here are quite dark. Maybe it the result of deep, shaded woods, vs sunlight of open fields??? I know sunlight has a lightening affect on deer antlers