OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Making wingbone calls  (Read 1783 times)

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
Making wingbone calls
« on: May 14, 2017, 07:02:23 PM »
Not asking for all the tricks of the trade and would rather see it in a pm than out in the open if you're concerned about privacy. I tried to assemble 4 calls today. Did not do extremely well and needless to say, there's not 4 at the moment. I've got zero plans on selling any, EVER! I would however like for them to look somewhat appealing because the one will go to a guy that just shot his first turkey. Fella is from Colorado and came here for a church function. While here, my buddy took him out and he killed a jake. He's also offering up info for a future elk hunt that is invaluable. I'd like to make sure his call looks alright before I mail it to him. How do I go about properly wrapping the thread around it and what should I spray it with to get the glossy finish. I'll fumble my way through attaching a lanyard but these two things are what I'm most concerned about. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Only one I'll be making in the future will be for my nephew when he finally gets a long beard. Thanks in advance.

Offline Terry

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
Making wingbone calls
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 07:07:06 PM »
I'm interested in this as well. I want to make a few for myself

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline gergg

• Longbeard
Re: Making wingbone calls
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 07:27:03 PM »
I've never built a wingbone, but the thread jobs looks a lot like what I used to do wrapping fishing rod guides/eyes.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

Offline West Augusta

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • West By God Virginia
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 08:48:21 PM »
Lot's of info out there.  And tutorials.

https://www.google.com/#q=making+a+wingbone+turkey+call
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Offline Gawhitaker

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 05:46:56 PM »
With the call loosly assembled, At the joints i will take small peices of papertowel, roll it up tight, push it in the joint with a razorblade to tighten the fit, this  allows you to adjust the desired depth, once it is where you like apply one or two drops of superglue allowing it to secure each joint. Then to get the smooth transition at the joints i use a 5 minute set clear epoxy, get it mixed good, apply with plastic fork or toothpick at joint until joint is filled while holding call horizentally and turning the call, the epoxy will level out and you can angle the call some while turning to even the transition out. Just keep turning until it firms up or you will have a mess. The next day hand sand if needed. This is lenghty but it will provide a smooth transition to wrap.
Once it is wh

Offline Gawhitaker

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 06:20:42 PM »
Want to clarify on the paper towel, it is rolled tight and iis sized to fill the gap then pushed down in the joint 1/8" or so which allows the epoxy to get a good penetrating bond. It also acts as a seal and prevents the epoxy from running out. I know some that use the stick epoxy which you kneed to activate for this. I tried it and it will work also i just prefer the 2 to 5 minute on the joints. Hope this helps, and if i was a betting man i'd bet you make more than a few once you get started.. cause it is just a little addictive..